Part 14

Samy's POV

In a short time Payal became my best friend. After spending time with her fighting the bad guys and putting them behind bars, my respect for her grew and I felt like sharing my story with her.

Of course she pestered me to death to tell her about Sid, after our encounter with him and the way he ran towards us to catch me.

I also told her about the incident that happened the previous week, even though Sid warned me not to talk about it to anyone, especially cops. After hearing about the incident, Payal's expression and demeanor changed rapidly.

"You got to be kidding me .. Did you tell  your uncle about it?" She almost screamed.

"No .. Sid warned me to not talk about it." I replied guiltily, avoiding her eyes.

"I heard about the incident .. do you even know who those guys are?"

"No .. some local thugs."

"What? No .. no  .. the guy Sid slashed, is the son of a noted mafia king. Oh God .. they must be searching all over the town for you and your boyfriend, for revenge. If they find him or you, they will kill you both. You need to be very careful. Watch your back all the time and don't repeat the story to anyone else."

"I will, but please don't tell my uncle." I requested her.

If my uncle knows, then my parents will know and then the whole world will come to know and I won't be allowed to do anything by myself. My independence is more important to me than my life.

"Ok, but stay safe. I am going to investigate further about the incident and give you an update. Meanwhile keep a low profile and call me immediately if you find anything or anyone suspicious around you." She handed me her emergency phone number.

Next day I went to office and I could feel Sid's eyes scanning me from top to bottom, trying to picture me again in the sexy outfit he saw me in the previous night.

I looked into his eyes challenging his thoughts. He tried to say something, but after looking into my confident eyes, he decided against it.

I knew he expected to see some guilt in my eyes, but seeing my confidence, he wasn't sure anymore that the girl he saw was me and he backed out.

I breathed a sigh of relief and stepped into my office, closing the door behind me. It took me a moment to get my heart beat rate to normal. I don't know what happens to me when he looks at me like that. It is as if he charges the air around me and i can feel the tiny electrical charges on my skin. Its like caffeine for my soul.

I got busy with my work and didn't notice the hours flying till my phone started buzzing. It was an unknown number.

"Hello Samantha here." I picked up the phone hesistantly.

"Hi Samantha, my name is Mark. I am an executive headhunter and want to have few minutes of your time. Is this a good time or you want me to call you later?" The person on the other side spoke.

"Excuse me! I am not sure what is this about? You should call our HR team if you are looking for a list of openings in our firm. Thank you." I was about to disconnect the call.

"Please don't hangup. Give me two minutes to explain. I am calling to discuss a position for you."

"Oh! Sorry, but I am not currently looking for a change."

"Yes I know, but I want you to hear my proposal and then decide. I recruit senior executives for the top ten Information Technology firms. For Senior positions, we don't recruit through open process, but study the market and approach very few selected candidates only based upon their market performance and peer review. I am talking about Managing Director level positions with excellent benefits and salary package. Your name has been recommended by certain important people, hence the call."