Chapter Twenty Nine

Start from the beginning

The second I had finished speaking, Rose's eyes widened as she shot up off the sofa and rushed from the room, presumably to inform everybody else that Benjamin was on the phone. I knew I had only a few minutes - if that - before Shadow came rushing in and took the phone from me so I decided to use the time wisely. He was in the library upstairs with Vince and Marl, while Alec had gone hunting, so I knew I didn't have long to get answers.

Before I could ask him anything, however, he spoke first.

"Ric is safe, for now." Benjamin told me, and I wasn't sure what it was about the way he said, but I believed him. "He won't be harmed as long as you do something for me, Violet."

I could hear Ric in the background, sending a wave of relief coursing through me, knowing that he was alive. Though he was telling me not to do it, whatever that meant, I was just glad he was okay.

"What do you want?" I asked immediately, walking over to the window and staring out at it, hand dropping to my side.

"You." Benjamin answered immediately, his words not surprising me in the slightest. "I want you to take Ric's place."

"You want to kill me..." I trailed off. "How can I be so sure you won't kill us both?"

Benjamin laughed, a loud laugh that had me on edge because he seemed to find my words hysterical and there was nothing funny about him wanting to kill me. "Oh, Violet, you have much to learn. You killed my mate, I am not going to let that go so easily."

"So if I swap places with Ric, you'll let him go?" I changed the subject, not liking the dangerous undertone to his voice. "You won't hurt him, you'll let him leave. Just like that?"

"Yes."

"I don't believe you." It couldn't be that simple. It just couldn't.

"I don't care whether you believe me, flower, you are going to swap places with him or I will just kill him now, and then I'll go for your boyfriend."

I gasped, the thought of Shadow being hurt sending a wave of fear through me. I didn't stop to think about my next words, willing to do anything to stop that from happening. "I'll do it."

Ric started shouting then, I could hear him so clearly it was almost like he was standing in front of me. Repeating the same word, 'no', over and over again, I wondered what I'd just signed myself up for. Swapping places with him seemed like a good idea because it meant Ric would be safe, but what would that mean for me? Benjamin wanted to kill me for killing his mate, even though it was in self defence, but something told me Benjamin didn't care about the fact they'd been the ones to attack first.

"Great!" Benjamin seemed pleased. "You swap places with Ric and I will leave everyone alone. There is one other thing..."

"What?"

"I want the grimoire."

"No." I answered immediately. "If I'm swapping places with Ric, you don't get the grimoire too. You're not getting your hands on it. I'll burn it if I have to."

"I'd be very careful, flower. Telling me what to do will only result in your death."

"Yeah, well, you've probably already planned out my death anyway." I responded sarcastically, unable to help it. He didn't seem particularly threatening at the moment, though I knew that could change.

"I want you and the grimoire in two days time. I will text you the address, but if you tell anybody about this, I will kill Ric and then your friends too."

"And how exactly do you expect me to get away from them?" I shut my eyes, a heaviness settling over my heart that I couldn't seem to shake. I didn't particularly want to swap places with Ric when I knew Benjamin wanted to avenge his mate's death but I had no choice. Ric needed to be safe and as for me... well, I was used to being in danger. At least I was stronger than I used to be.