Chapter Seventeen

"Ric, no!" I yelled, knowing what he was about to do. It was obvious from the way his stance changed, indicating he was getting ready to attack.

"Listen to her," The man advised, amusement lacing his tone. "You will not kill me, I assure you. Though I do enjoy a good fight."

Looking at the man, that was when I saw it. The fangs he had were longer, longer than a vampires fangs should be. Not only that but they appeared different. They appeared more... beastly.

I gasped. "Hybrid."

The man grinned. "Exactly."

Even knowing he was a hybrid didn't stop Ric from attacking, causing me to gasp in horror. Ric had launched himself at the man before I'd even got the chance to say anything else. I stumbled back a few steps as he tackled the man, sending the two of them crashing to the ground. Though Ric currently had the upper hand, I wasn't sure how much longer that would be true. As far as I was aware, nobody was sure how to kill a hybrid so all Ric had technically done was piss one off.

Probably not a good idea, in hindsight.

When the man had flipped them both over, sending a harsh punch straight to Ric's face, I launched myself into the fight, wanting to help Ric. I jumped onto the man's back, momentarily shifting his attention to me and giving Ric time to get to his feet.

"Vi, look out!" He suddenly screamed, just as someone grabbed my waist. Before I'd even had the chance to break the man's neck, whoever had grabbed hold me launched into the air and I was sent crashing painfully into a brick wall.

Ric, ignoring the fact there was now two of them, rushed over to me and helped me to my feet. It was just as I had straightened up, hissing in pain when movement from behind Ric caught my eye.

"Move!" I shouted, causing Ric to quickly spin around to see that the hybrid and a red haired woman both had stakes in their hands. That only led me to believe that a normal, wooden stake would have no effect on either of them because they wouldn't have brought them out when there was a possibility we could get hold of one and stake them. Unless, of course, they were extremely confident in their skills.

Ric managed to swerve the man's attack, the stake raised. As the two of them were busy fighting, I jumped at the woman, grabbing her stake and tearing it from her grip while her eyes were fixed on the other two.

The woman immediately looked at me, the familiar veins appearing around her eyes and the fangs on display. So she's not a hybrid too, I thought to myself. Maybe she was just too cocky then, though she hadn't seem to have noticed that the stake was now in my hand and not her own until she went to attack me. She paused, glancing down at her empty hand and then back at me, glaring harshly.

I grinned. I couldn't help myself. I'd have thought she'd have been able to tell when she was no longer holding the stake but I didn't think too hard on the matter. Not that I had much of a chance because she took a step closer to me.

I didn't pay any attention to Ric and the hybrid he was currently fighting, trusting that he could hold his own. If I could kill the red headed vampire then at least that would mean one less person after us.

With that thought in mind, I raised the stake and lunged but she stepped out of the way at the last minute. Spinning around, I put the stake in my other hand and sent my fist flying towards her face but she anticipated the assault, grabbing my fist and smirking at me.

Not letting that deter me, I tightened my grip on the stake and went to attack. Hearing a groaning noise, I then saw someone behind the red headed woman but unfortunately, she realised at the same time because she span around, ready to attack but she never got the chance to.