Chapter Four

"Don't worry," Leah was the first to break the silence that had settled over us all. "I know exactly why you've been following me everywhere. So come on, Violet already made her opinion clear, so what do you two think? Do you think I killed Raven or not?"

"No." Shadow replied, not bothering to lie about it. "I don't believe you at all. I wanted to, we all did, but there is something that is seriously wrong with you and it's the only thing that makes sense."

"My sister is dead because of me!" Leah exclaimed. "I think that's a good enough reason, don't you think?!"

"You've never been close with your sister. In fact, you didn't even know that I had turned you both until a few weeks after. So don't stand there and pretend like you gave a shit about her when you don't. Not really." Shadow spoke slowly but calmly.

"Of course I gave a shit about her! She was still my family! Just like when Violet couldn't turn her dad in when she was getting beaten black and blue every fucking day, family is still family!"

"Some family member you got there," Rose suddenly said. "She wanted you dead, Leah. That's one thing I remember very well. She told Violet she had no problems with killing you."

"Oh, shut the fuck up." Leah snapped at her. "You wouldn't even be friends with Violet again if it wasn't for me."

"And how exactly do you figure that out?"

"Because if it wasn't for me pretending to be Violet, you'd still be ignoring her like a pathetic little girl." Leah retorted, rolling her eyes.

Rose kept quiet. It wasn't like she could deny it either because we all knew if it wasn't for Leah, we wouldn't be speaking right now.

"Why did you ask to meet her in the first place?" Alec asked Leah, taking a step further into the room. "It doesn't make sense, babe. Nothing you're doing lately makes sense. We're just trying to understand, that's all."

"Yeah but you don't believe me," She shook her head sadly. "I just wanted to do some good for a change. All I can think about is the moment when I killed Raven, it's all I see when I close my eyes. The guilt and the grief is killing me. I needed a distraction, something to take my mind off it. Hence why I decided to get Rose to start talking to Violet again."

"Why run when we saw you?" Shadow asked, leaning against the door frame with his arms folded. He didn't appear to be convinced in the slightest. I was having a difficult time believing her intentions were purely innocent so I couldn't blame him for being the same.

"Because I knew how it looked." Leah sighed. "Look, I only had good intentions. My sister is dead and I needed something to do. That's it. What does it matter though when none of you believe me?"

"It matters when I don't know where your loyalty lies!" Shadow suddenly yelled, voice so loud it made me and Rose jump slightly. One thing that hadn't changed at all? The fact Shadow could get so angry in mere seconds. Though he had already been angry, it just seemed to burst out of him. To be honest, I was just glad it no longer scared me like it once had.

"My loyalty?!" Leah's voice rose in disbelief. "I proved my loyalty to you the second I killed my sister!"

"And how do I know that you actually did kill her?" He asked, taking a step toward her and raising an eyebrow. "How do I know you haven't been lying this whole time and aren't planning something with her?"

Leah recoiled as though she had been slapped and in that moment, I felt slightly sorry for her.

"I can't believe you'd say that to me, after everything..." She spoke so softly that I could tell she was truly hurting. She had a tendency to speak in a calm voice when she was more hurt than she wanted to let on.