Chapter Fifteen

Everybody did make themselves scarce, though we didn't take advantage of the time alone. It was incredibly rare that we had the house to ourselves but we were both too worried about everything currently going on to actually take our relationship to the next level.

Surprisingly, however, it was me that had to turn him down. Apparently the thought of what was inside my shopping bags was enough for him to realise he didn't want to wait anymore. We may not have gone all the way but we certainly became more acquainted with each other's bodies and it took all my strength not to give in right there. I had been waiting long enough, after all, but I just couldn't go through with it. Not because I didn't want to because I did; it was the fact I couldn't quite stop thinking about what was going to happen in a couple of days.

"Do you think we'll ever get peace?" I asked Shadow as we lay on his bed, his hand running up and down my back soothingly, my head resting on his chest. "We're finally alone, which is a miracle in itself and instead of doing what we both want, I'm too worried about one of us being killed."

His hand paused and his body tensed. "Nothing is going to happen to you - or anyone, for that matter."

I sighed, raising my head to look at him. "Shadow, be realistic. Being a vampire doesn't make us invincible, we can still be killed. We don't know how many people are going to attack, we don't know anything. What if there are too many for us to handle? What if something happens? I can't lose you, Shadow, I'd die first..."

He cut me off with a kiss that had my head spinning. I responded enthusiastically, placing a hand on his cheek as he started to deepen the kiss.

It probably wasn't the right time but with his lips on mine and his wandering hands, I couldn't bring myself to care. Every touch, every caress... it only had me wanting more. Neither of us has gotten dressed after our previous... activities, something that he was clearly enjoying because he knew I wasn't embarrassed to have him see me with no clothes. Then again, he had touched me in places nobody had touched me in years so any embarrassment would have been a bit delayed.

I put all my emotions into the kiss though, trying to convey the words that refused to leave my lips. I was sure if I were to ever slip and tell Shadow that I had fallen head over heels in love with him, he'd only freak out. It wasn't a situation I wanted to find myself in because there was no way he could feel the same. Still, I allowed myseld to hope though, which was dangerous in itself because it's always the hope that kills people the most.

Far too soon, he pulled away, cupping my cheek gently as mine dropped to his chest. He stared into my eyes as he spoke.

"We'll make it. I promise."

"What i-" I started to speak but he cut me off before I could finish my sentence.

"We'll make it," He spoke more firmly this time. Then, a smirk settled on his face as he added, "I have an incentive to get through it alive."

"And what incentive is that then?" I asked, eyebrows raised, though I had a pretty good idea and it was taking all my effort not to grin.

Shadow's hand trailed down the side of my body, settling on my thigh but not going any further, not going to the place I wanted him to touch the most. He knew what he was doing though because upon hearing me whimper, his smirk widened.

"See?" He cocked his head to one side. "The wait will be worth it."

"It bloody better be." I growled, sick and tired of the teasing. Though being  intimate with him was better than anything I'd ever experienced before, I knew waiting was the right thing to do. I didn't want to rush things just because I was worried I was going to lose him. I'd rather wait until there was no danger.