Chapter Eight

The lack of a heartbeat told me the voice belonged to a vampire so I cast my eyes over to the doorway, frowning in confusion when I didn't recognise the man standing there. With his shoulder length black hair that was falling in front of his face and his strong jawline, he looked like someone straight from my nightmares. He had his arms crossed firmly over his chest as he leaned against the door frame, watching us in amusement. I didn't even want to think about how long he'd been standing there because it just seemed creepy, to be honest.

"Who are you?" I blurted out, frown deepening when the man looked surprised.

"You haven't even told her about me, Shadow? I'm hurt!" The man placed a hand over his heart in shock, though there was a hint of a smile on his face.

"What are you doing here, Vince?" Shadow grumbled, picking me up effortlessly and placing me on the floor so he could stand up.

"I came to see you, obviously." Vince rolled his eyes. "But I can see you are a little busy so I will come back later."

"We can speak now."

"I do not think your girlfriend is happy about that but okay, I will make it quick," The grin dropped from his face as he looked at Shadow grimly. "I have what you are looking for."

Shadow's stance immediately changed, straightening up and appearing more intimidating than he had been as he stared at Vince with an unreadable expression on his face.

"Where?" He spoke through gritted teeth.

"At my humble abode, of course," Vince replied. "Where else?"

"Does she know you're here?"

Vince shook his head. "No. She has been rather jumpy though so I doubt it wil take her long to figure it out."

"Does she still believe we hate one another?" Shadow then asked, leading me to be more confuse than ever before. I guessed that they were speaking about Leah but why on earth would Shadow want her to believe he hated Vince?

"Of course," Vince nodded. Then, he grinned. "I had to say a few horrible things about you though."

"Wouldn't be the first time." Shadow retorted, though I could see that he wasn't offended in the least.

Vince looked amused at that. "I have to play up to it somehow! Wouldn't want her figuring it out and her bolting before you can get your hands on her, would we? What did she do to you anyway? I figure it has gotta be bad for you to want her so badly."

"She turned Violet." Shadow practically growled, hands clneching into fists as his jaw clenched.

Vince's eyes travelled over to me, standing awkwardly to one side as I listened to their conversation. When his eyes met my own, I raised my hand and waved.

"So she turned your girlfriend and you are going to torture her for it?" Vince spoke, taken aback, turning his attention back to Shadow. "Surely, being turned is a good thing? Now you have eternity to have all the sex you want."

"Violet didn't want to be turned." Shadow said, as if that was all the explanation he needed.

Vince shook his head, looking back at me as he spoke. "I'm sorry to burst your bubble, love but when you roll with vampires, you are bound to have been turned. Honestly, Leah probably did you a favour turning you."

"How do you figure that out?" I asked, actually interested in why he thought so.

"Because if one of Shadow's enemies had gotten to you first, you would have been tortured first." Vince shrugged.