Chapter 36

Harry's POV:

After Sara blacked out, I laid her in the backseat and drove straight to the emergency room. They took her in immediately.

"Sir, you've got to wait here," one of the nurses told me.

"That's my fiancé," I protested, trying to move around her.

"We'll come get you as soon as we have news. But for now, the best thing is for you to wait here."

I sat in one of the chairs in the waiting room and called Madison.

"Harry! Where are you? Is Sara okay?" Madison asked.

"We're at the emergency room. She's unconscious," I replied monotonously.

"What? What happened to her?"

"When I got there, Griffin had her by her hair and was punching her in the face over and over. All I saw was red and I pushed Griffin off of her. I carried Sara to the car and she blacked out."

"I'm sorry, Harry. When she wakes up, don't be so hard on her for going down there. She was just trying to get rid of that magazine story," Madison said.

"I won't be. Do you think you could keep watching Elizabeth? I'll call you when I have good news and you can bring her down here," I replied.
"Of course. Make sure to call Sara's family, too."

I wasn't looking forward to that phone call at all. I knew I had to, though. I got up and stepped outside to call Mrs. Patterson.

"Hello?" she asked as she answered her phone.

"Hi, Mrs. Patterson, it's Harry," I said.

"Harry, I've told you a million times to call me Laura," she scolded. "How are you?"

"I'm okay. I need to tell you something," I started, my voice shaking. "Sara went to see her ex boyfriend Griffin because he sold a magazine information about her past. When I got there, Griffin was physically harming Sara. I got her out of there, but she passed out. We're at the emergency room now."

"Oh, my goodness," Laura cried. "I'll be there as soon as I can. Thank you for getting her out of there."

"I'd do anything to keep her safe."

We hung up and I went back into the waiting room. Laura got to the hospital about an hour after I'd called her.

"Harry!" she called when she saw me. "Any news?"

I shook my head and replied, "None so far."

Laura nodded and sat down next to me. She had tears in her eyes.

"I can't believe that he did this again," she whispered.

"Again?" I asked, my eyebrows furrowing.

"The reason Griffin got arrested was because he'd sent Sara to the hospital unconscious and almost beaten to death," Laura explained.

"Sara told me he was arrested but she didn't seem to know why."

"She was hit in the head so hard that she doesn't remember what happened after a certain point."

The thought of a 17 year old Sara, laying in bed unconscious broke my heart. She was in there right now, the same exact way. And I couldn't do a thing about it.

"Is anyone here for Sara Patterson?" a nurse called out. Laura and I both stood up immediately. I silently prayed, Please don't take her away from me.

"We are," I said, extending a hand. "I'm her fiancé, Harry, and this is her mum, Laura."

Don't take her from me.

"I'm Joy, Sara's nurse," the nurse replied, shaking my hand.

Don't take her from me.

"How is she?" I asked.

Don't take her.

"She's asleep right now, but she's going to be fine," Joy replied. "She has a concussion and a few broken ribs."

I felt a wave of relief wash over me. Sara was going to be okay.

"Her injuries, especially the bruising on her neck, are consistent with domestic abuse," Joy said.

"What, do you think I did it?" I asked. "I would never hurt Sara. But I know who did this."

"Who?"

"Griffin Anderson. He's her ex boyfriend."

"I will notify the police," Joy said, turning on her heel.

"Can I see her now?" I asked. Joy turned to me and nodded. Laura and I followed Joy to Sara's room. Sara was laying in bed asleep with bruises on her face and a swollen lip. Seeing her like that brought tears to my eyes.

"My beautiful girl," Laura whispered through tears. I wiped away my own and put an arm around Sara's mum. I heard a sob escape her lips and I tightened my grip on her.

"She's going to be okay," I reassured her. Laura nodded. I released her and walked over to Sara's bedside. I sat in the chair next to her and took her cold, lifeless hand in mine. I placed a kiss on it and blinked out a few tears.

"I'm going to call Madison and update her," I said.

"I'll do it," Laura interrupted. "You need to stay here with Sara."

I nodded and turned my attention back to my love. I noticed finger-shaped bruises on her neck. The thought of Sara in pain or fear for her life made me completely break down. I held Sara's hand and kissed it, my body shaking with sobs.

"Please wake up," I choked out.

Madison brought Elizabeth to the hospital. I took my daughter in my arms and kissed her cheeks repeatedly. After a while, I sent Madison and Laura home to get some sleep with the promise that I'd call them if anything changed. I fell asleep in the chair with Elizabeth in my lap.

She woke up crying around 2am. I took her to the bathroom to change her diaper on the changing table in there. I held her until she calmed down then took her back to the hospital room.

When I walked back in, Sara was awake and sitting up.

"Harry," she cried out, tears falling out of those beautiful blue eyes, "I'm so sorry. I-I shouldn't have gone down there."

"You remember everything?" I asked. Sara nodded as she broke down. I walked over to her and kissed her forehead.

"You're safe now, baby, don't worry," I said, trying to console her. "Everything will be alright. I love you."

"I love you too," Sara sobbed. I could hear her struggling to breathe normally, so I held Elizabeth in one arm and took one of Sara's hands. She was shaking. My beautiful, broken girl.

"Hey, focus on me, baby," I said calmly. "Follow my breathing."

I breathed in and out very slowly. Sara followed my pattern and eventually calmed down.

"I love you, Sara," I said, kissing her forehead.

"I love you, too," Sara replied. "Thank you for always saving me."

"I'd do anything to keep you safe, baby."

Sara smiled. She reached out for Elizabeth who I handed over. Sara's face lit up once our little girl was in her arms.

Sara and I both eventually fell asleep again. Joy came in around 7:30 that morning to check on Sara. She was deemed well enough to go home, so we left the hospital together. I called Laura and Madison to fill them in.

"The doctor said I'll be good to fly to New York," Sara said.

"That's good news," I replied. I reached across and put my hand on Sara's thigh. She sighed in contentment.

"I love you," she said.

"I love you too," I replied. "I'm glad you're okay."

"Me too."

A/N:

Frick this chapter was kinda emotional. Thank you for reading this!!