Chapter 33

"Tris, you have to wake up, especially today." A low, warm voice says.

I groan. Opening my eyes, Tobias sits, dressed in a slightly tight black shirt, black jeans with his hair still a little wet from his shower.

I take a shower, putting on a tank top, jacket and jeans- all black, of course- afterwards.

Tobias sits at the table, when I come out of the bathroom, and I sneak up behind him, taking his muffin.

"Really? You can't walk 3 feet to the counter to get your own?" He whines.

"No, that's why I have you." I smile, innocently.

He rolls his eyes, getting another muffin. They are chocolate chip, and delectable. Tobias comes back and sits with me for a while.

We both rise, finishing our muffins, and he comes over and kisses me.

"This next month will be a pain." He says.

I nod my head, leading out the door. We meet Lynn and Lauren, near the net, along with many other Dauntless. I walk up towards the net, and look over to Tobias. He already ha his instructor face on.

"How do you do it?" I ask.

"Do what?" He replies, with his quiet, intimidating voice.

"Change your expression completely. Emotion, feelings, everything vanishes." I say, glancing up at the hole.

"Well, to be honest, it's fun scaring the day lights out of them, so I try and put my game face on as much as possible." He states.

I laugh, as the first jumper plummets to the net.

I reach out my hand, just as Tobias does. The boy, an Erudite, takes my hand.

"What's your name?" I ask.

"Jeremy." He says, confidently.

Tobias raises Jeremy's hand. "First jumper- Jeremy!" He calls out.

I smile at the boy, and he returns the gesture, staring at me.

I turn back towards the net, as the Dauntless clamor around me.

After half an hour, all the new initiates have jumped. There are 16 in all, a smaller group than last year. 8 Dauntless-borns, 2 Erudite, Jeremy and Jenna, 4 Candor, Leia, Nate, Thomas, and Tania, and 2 Amity, Julia and Sam. No Abnegation.

I walk beside Lynn until we separate, and we give them the grand tour.

"My name is Four, and this is Tris." Tobias says.

"Like the number?" Tania asks.

"Exactly like the number." I tell her.

My voice sounds straight forward, crisp and clear, with an edge to it. I like it.

It's basically the same as last year, the Pit, chasm, and dining hall. I sit down with the initiates, Jeremy and Tobias at my sides. I pick up a hamburger, and eat quickly.

"So, are either of you dating anyone?" Jeremy asks, looking more at me than Tobias.

"Why would you care?" Tobias asks. Typical. Answer a question with a question.

He looks to me, and raises his eyebrows. "Well?"

"It's none of your concern." I state.

He sighs, frustrated at his lack of knowledge.

I get up to leave, and I catch up to Christina at our regular table.

"Tris, who is that boy?" She asks, pointing to Jeremy.

"That's Jeremy, why?" I ask.

"He's been checking you out." She says.

I look over to him. He has honey colored skin, with brown eyes and hair. It's trimmed short, almost Abnegation short, and makes him look more sophisticated that he actually was. He ate like a pig.

"I going back to the apartment, you coming?" Chris asks.

I nod, and run after Chris.