t w e n t y - o n e

Start from the beginning

"For one, I don't want to pull Nia out of this school because she loves it here. Her friends are here. But, if you push my buttons, I will have no choice. Two, art, whether it's acting, singing, writing, drawing, painting, whatever, it's so important whether you, or your donors agree or not. Reading, math and science subjects are important, but I don't want my daughter being a logical thinker twenty-four seven. I want her to be able to express herself emotionally. And if she's unable to do that verbally, I want her to do it through art. Her form of expression is painting."

Dr. Bryce adjusted his tie to his liking, seemingly unbothered by whatever Naomi was saying. Quite frankly, he looked annoyed. "Here at Reese PreKindergarten Program, we prepare our kids for the future. Art doesn't pay bills nor does it bring a sizable income."

Naomi placed her hand under her chin, leaning forward. "These are four and five year olds, Dr. Bryce. I think they have a while before they have to focus on a career. And if they want to be a creative, who are you to question it?"

"We're just going to have to agree to disagree." Dr. Bryce shrugged his shoulders lightly.

Now it was Naomi's turn to chuckle as if what he said amused her. "I'm a businesswoman, Dr. Bryce. I don't agree to disagree. I'll just take my money away from this program and place my daughter in another one. A better one. Then, the paper is going to wonder why one of the top CEOs removed her child from one of the 'top schools in Seattle.' Cause it may get leaked."

"Is that a threat, Dr. Cartier?"

Oh? Okay then, let's go.

"A promise." She shot back. "I just want the best for my daughter, and the other children who attend this school. Please don't underestimate me, Dr. Bryce." A wicked smirk formed onto her lips.

Dr. Bryce stood up from his chair, and slowly paced behind his desk. Standing in front of the window, he sighed softly before looking back at Naomi. "You're bold." He nodded as if he were impressed. "You revamped your business at the drop of a hat. Business savvy, I like that."

"I'm flattered, but this is not about me."

"You're right." He nodded his head again. "It's not about you. So, why do you think you can come into my office making demands? Flaunting your checkbook around like I'm supposed to drop at your feet? No, darling. You're beautiful, but not that beautiful."

Naomi cringed at the word darling, getting up herself. Slowly, she walked to where he was standing and moved directly in front of him. "Let's get one thing clear, Dr. Bryce, I'm not your darling. Don't want to be, never will be." She gave him a sarcastic smile. "And if I read those papers correctly on your desk, you need my checkbook." His demeanor changed from confident to vulnerable, and Naomi laughed a little louder.

Bloop, bloop, bloop.

"Now, you're going to do exactly as I say or I'll tell your generous donors exactly what you're doing with their money. Am I clear?" She folded her arms across her chest. "Good." She didn't wait for his reply. "We're going to have a meeting. You, your board, my accountant, and I. I'll make a donation to the area of my choosing, which will be the arts program here. That money will go towards whatever the children need, as I see fit. The remaining will go to the teachers that you fired. Oh yea, you're going to rehire them."