I love you James

*RILEYS POV*
I grabbed my bag and slid on my shoes before switching off my phone and stuffing it in my pocket. I had just had some lunch before I was due to be at James house to watch a new film which had just came out.

James and I had only been together for about a year, and things were moving slow but steady. We hung out most weekends and sometimes after school for an hour or two, but we were both usually busy with our hobbies- I had been dancing since I was 4 and James had been part of a band since he was 11. He was the drummer, and sometimes when I had some spare time from dance and schoolwork, I would go and watch him practise. It was something he was so passionate about, so passionate that he was usually about 20 minutes late for almost everything.

Being around James was a blessing, and always such fun. He could make me laugh like nobody else could, and I could be myself around him all the time. He loved me for who I am, and so did I. We hadn't actually said our first "I love you's" yet, but I think we might soon.

After driving for about 10 minutes, I came to a red light. I impatiently tapped my fingers on the steering wheel- something which I had somehow picked up from James. Anyway, as the light turned green and I put my foot on the pedal, I soon skidded to a halt.

Everything went black.

*JAMES POV*
I was waiting for Riley to arrive at my house however she was almost an hour late. I had tried calling and texting, but nothing came back. I figured she had forgot or something had came up, but it wasn't like her to bail on me- or ignore my calls.

Just as I pointlessly watched through the movie and ate a small amount of popcorn, I suddenly felt my phone vibrate.

"Oh my god Riley, where are you?" I ask, a little more loudly than I probably should have.
"Sir, this isn't Riley." The unrecognisable voice said through the phone.
"It's Rileys local doctor, from the local Toronto hospital."

What-wait-hospital? Before I had chance to ask questions, I was already being explained to.
"Riley has been in a car accident and just came out of theatre. She isn't looking too good, but until more news we are uncertain." This shattered my heart in two.
"We didn't know who to call, but we figured you might have needed to know since her phones been going off constantly. Who are you to Riley?" He asked.
"J-jam- Rileys boyfriend" I replied shakily. I was already in the car strapping on my seatbelt.
"Okay well we recommend you get here as soon as possible and alert any other family who may need to see her. We will see you soon?" He said.
"Yep, I'm on my way" I told him whilst zooming down the road. "And her family aren't in the country..so it will only be me" I stuttered but I'm pretty sure he was gone.

After speeding through every red light (and thankfully not getting pulled over) I made it to the hospital. I ran as fast as I could to the front desk, demanding directions to her room.
"Just up the stairs and down the hallway. Take a turn left and it's the room on the right" the lady told me.
I darted in the direction, replaying her words in my crowded mind praying not to get lost or forget.

In no time at all I made it to her room and barged through the doors. I stood in the middle of the room like a lost sheep, not sure what to do now. There was several beds around the room where people were sleeping, but in the far back was my girl.

I slowly walked over to her bedside, feeling like any moment I might break down or do something wrong. It was so intense, the only noise I could hear was the beeping monitors and the racing sound of my heartbeat. Then I realised, I didn't hear hers.
"Riley, Riley please please wake up!" I cried, hoping that her gorgeous brown eyes would flutter open at any minute. But they didn't.

I grabbed her hand, which felt cold and lifeless...had I really lost my babygirl?

"She's stable-for now" I heard a voice from begins say. Footsteps echoed towards me until I felt a hand placed on my shoulder.

"I suppose you want to know what bought her here in the first place?" The doctor asked. I just nodded and bit the inside of my cheek, determined not to cry.

"According to an eye witness, she was in the car at a red light, and as it turned green and she began to drive a little kid ran out in front. Luckily he wasn't injured, but as for Riley she swerved into a wall. She injured her head, and is now on life support."

I looked at my girl, she was all damaged and broken. Her arm was In a cast and her neck was in a brace. Her eyes were closed shut and it seemed like she was never going to wake up...

*A MONTH LATER*
Today was the day which I was dreading. It had been a month since Riley was involved in the accident, put on life support. It was the day I last heard my girlfriends voice over the phone, and I was the last person she ever spoke to since.

By now I was pretty used to coming to her room. The first time coming to visit her felt hectic and busy, but as each day went by it seemed to go more slowly and more quietly. It was as though all my energy had been sucked out of me, but I still came every day. Sometimes I would fall asleep on the uncomfortable chair beside her bed and wake up at 3am from nightmares. And sometimes I would hear a subtle noise and instantly wake up full of hope- hope that Riles had heard my prayers and seen me cry. I hoped she had seen the pain I was in, not having my best friend and girlfriend with me. But she never did- or if she did she didn't wake up...

After a couple of weeks of life support, all the hope of her ever waking up is drained away. And on the one month mark, making my way to her room, I took my time.

Because I knew, this was the last time.

"Good morning James" The doctor greeted me, like he always did. I don't know how he seemed so bright- working with ill and injured people every day, being around newborns and even taking people's life's from them.

"Any improvements?" I sighed as i slumped in the chair, taking hold of her cold hand. There was no point in asking, I used to ask multiple times an hour. But each day I realised, there wasn't going to be a change...

I looked at my beautiful girlfriend 'sleeping' as I liked to call it, just watching her hair fall in front of her face and her chest slowly fall and rise from the machine. It pricked my eyes with hot tears, and as soon as I heard the door open and close (telling me it was just the two of us alone), I broke down.

I cried my eyes out, not bothering to wipe them as they rolled down my cheek.
"Hey Riles, my baby girl. James is here, like he always is" I rambled unnecessarily. I wasn't really aware of the things coming out of my mouth- I had gotten so used to the same speech every day that it was stored away in the top of my brain. I would tell her his multiple times a day- whether she could hear me or not.

I kissed he hand and wiped my sore eyes, just in time as the doctor came back in. He did the usual checkup- checking for a pulse and all that pointless stuff he did each day. I knew it wouldn't make a difference, she was on her death bed just waiting to be freed. With Riley being in the coma, it was like a part of me had died.
And it defiantly had. It had been taken away from me, just like her life had.

"No improvements" the doctors said to one another. They nodded at one another, before turning to me and telling me the procedure.

"Since arriving there has been no improvements on Rileys health. It's unlikely she will ever wake up and if she did, she would have a poor quality of life. James, do you agree that turning her switch off and letting her go is the right thing to do?"

I bit my cheek hard, just staring at my girl. Too scared to look away in case someone takes her from me.

I slowly nodded, squeezing her hand as the switch was flicked...the line went straight...she was gone.

As we were left alone together, for possibly the last time, something remarkable happened. It was oddly strange-like maybe it wasn't real. But it was, it really was.

As I picked up my vibrating phone from the table, I saw the message. The message under my dead girlfriends name.

"I love you James ❤️"
----
Wrote this a while ago, probably confused you all tbh but idk..anyways don't forget to comment and vote for a new update soon x p.s also working on another book so yah make sure to follow ready for when I release that