Coming home

"I'm coming home, I'm coming home,
Tell the world I'm coming home"

                  *Brittany's POV*
I woke up -again- from yet another nightmare. Ever since my boyfriend of 8 years went off to Vietnam to fight in the war I've had restless nights. It's been hard, working full time whilst taking care of the house and our 3 year old son. Honestly our little boy is the only good thing in my life right now. Ever since Trevor left it's not been the same. What if he never comes home?

By now silent tears are streaming down my face. I don't even bother wiping them away, I just let them drop off my chin. I'm exhausted, physically and mentally. It's hard work balancing everything. Even if my Mom is very helpful. It's a good job I'm going over for my tea tomorrow, I don't know how much longer I can cope.
---
My mom opens the front door pulling me into a hug. It takes all my strength not to break down into tears- but I manage to stay for a quicker cup of coffee without breaking down.
"Oscar, come here" I say to my little boy as he comes running over giggling.
"Mummy's got to go to work ok, so behave yourself." I smile pulling him into a hug. It hurts so much, since his brown curly hair and brown eyes look so much like Trevor. "Owkay" he relies in his cute baby voice. I smile up at my mom before grabbing my bag and leaving.

After driving to work and having one of my regular breakdowns in the bathroom I finally manage to concentrate on paperwork. That's until I hear my boss's voice
"Brittany,you look exhausted." I simply nod, keeping my eyes on down. "Are you okay?"she asks sweetly, pulling up a chair. Most people know about Trev being away for the war but it's never spoken of.
I nod my head, pulling my best fake smile. "Are you sure?" She asks again, her eyes staring at me. That was all it took to be having yet another breakdown.

I sobbed and sobbed. After sobbing for a while, my boss gave me today off. I put my bag in the passenger seat and start driving home. I know I should probably have gone and got Oscar, but I couldn't face anyone right now. It was too hard and I didn't need any more sympathy..

I finally arrive home and went straight upstairs. I kick off my pumps and pull my hair loose from the bobble. I pulled out some cozy pyjamas and quickly change before sitting on mine and Trev's bed and sobbing. I cry and whimper until there's no more tears to cry. My eyes are red and sore as usual, and have big black bags under them. My face is all pale and sore and my hair is a mess. I just have given up. I know that I will hopefully get to see him in a few months time, but until the constant worry will haunt me. And even if he does return, it's only for month or two before he's back in Vietnam, his life on the line again. Or maybe he will never come home. Maybe I will never have him to comfort me, kiss me, make love to me, laugh with me. Maybe I might never have him share this bed with me again.

I manage to clean myself up before driving back over to Moms to pick up Oscar. Luckily she doesn't question why I'm in my Pyjamas and not in work clothes but Im pretty sure she knows I got sent home again. After eating dinner we curl up on the sofa, watching some crappy tv whilst she strokes my hair. She keeps trying to make small talk such as 'Oscar was well behaved' or 'your hairs getting long again' but I think she got the hint when I didn't reply. I was completely dead to the world. Maybe it will always hurt this much...

                      *Trevor's POV*
"I know my kingdom awaits,
And They've forgiven my mistakes,
Tell the world I'm coming home"

Me and my army were all back at the camp, eating the little food we had, whilst writing letters for back home.
There's a lot I could have written to Britt about. About how much I love and miss her and Oscar, about how things are over here and tell her that I'm safe. But i purposely kept it to a minimum. I scribbled down with the pen

"I'm coming home
-Trevor <3"

I thought about what I had written-I thought about changing it. I missed her so much, but for this to work I had to keep it secretive.

                     *Brittany POV*
I called my son into the dining room. He ran in giggling and I sat him on the table. "Daddy's sent us a letter" I told him whilst holding up the unusual brown letter. It's obvious it's from Trevor- nobody sends mail in letters like this. He smiled excitedly "wead it, wead it!"(Wead= read)
He's so sweet even if he doesn't understand where his father is.
I undo the envelope and pull out the letter. Usually when he writes it's tiny and scruffy so he can fit a lot on but it's almost blank. I turn it over and see the one simple sentence.
"I'm coming home -Trev <3"
What's that suppose to mean? That he's safe and and he is going to come home? Or maybe he's been injured and that's all he could manage to write...or maybe he is just trying to remind himself that. I don't know, but it's months till he's due back. All I can do is hope.

*few days later*
I kiss my sleeping sons head. He's just fallen asleep after I read him a bedtime story. It used to be his and Trevor's thing, but since he's been gone I've been filling his shoes.
"Nicely read" I hear a voice say. W-what? I freeze for a moment- it's must have been my imagination playing tricks on me again.
"I'm speaking to you Raymond" a deep voice said. I was beyond frightened.
"T-Trevor?" I whisper. Maybe this was real...
I turn around and my jaw dropped. Tears streamed down my face as my legs gave way from underneath me. Trevor is here- what, how?
*Trevor's POV *
After finding out I was able to leave Vietnam early I didn't hesitate in packing my bag. I was so exited to get home and see Britt and Oscar. I missed them so much.
After creeping into the house and everything being quiet I went upstairs thinking they might both be asleep. But as I reached the top of the stairs I heard my girlfriends voice. I stood in the doorway listening to her beautiful voice. I was so exited to surprise her.
She leant down and kissed our sons head who was now asleep.
"Nicely read" I say from the door. I can't see her face, but she doesn't move. Did she hear me?
"I'm talking to you Raymond" I repeat.
"T-Trevor" she whispers from the darkness.
I chuckle. And for the first time in months I see her beautiful face.

I quickly rush in and pick her up,carrying her into the hallway to be sure we don't wake Oscar. She had her arms around my neck and her legs around my torso whilst I buried my face in her neck and supported her by the thighs. We hugged in silence, sobs filling the room. I finally pull my face away and look at her beautiful face. The first thing I notice is how exhausted she looks making me feel so guilty.
"Hey beautiful,like my surprise?" I smiled. She nods and cries gripping onto my shirt.
"I missed you, so much baby girl" I whisper, crashing my lips onto her's.

I'm so glad I came home, and I'm so glad I never went back to Vietnam. I had all I needed here with me.there was no way I was leaving again. Never.
--------
Wowww this was super long (1360 words)...oops. Either way, hope it didn't bore you too much.