I Spike Some Drinks

Start from the beginning

"It's okay. It wasn't your fault. Just get me to my mom's apartment so I can try to convince her and Paul of the truth and get them to drink the blood. If not . . ." I sighed. "I guess I'll have to trick them."

"Of course. Good luck, I will do what I can to find out more about Mnemosyne's plans," Poseidon said, and the two of us vanished.

When I stood on solid ground again, I recognized the front door to my mother's apartment. I took a deep breath, pocketed the remaining gorgon's blood, hiked my bag farther up my shoulder, and knocked on the door.

"Yes?" The door opened to reveal the familiar comforting face of Sally Jackson. My heart melted at the sight. "Who are you?"

"My name is Percy Jackson," I said, deciding to go right for it. "And I'm your son."

~

I somehow managed to convince my mother to let me in, and she, Paul, and I sat at the dining room table with cups of coffee.

"I hope you have an explanation because I don't have a son, I never have," my mother said, gripping Paul's hand and watching me closely.

"Who are you, really?" Paul asked.

"I am who I said I am. I'm your son," I said, staring straight at her. "I was born on August 18th, 1993. You and Poseidon, the Olympian god of the sea, are my parents. And you," I faced Paul, who drank his coffee, looking uncomfortable, "Paul Blofis, are my step-dad. I am a demigod, and every summer I go to a camp called Camp Half-Blood that trains demigods like me. I was there a year ago when I woke up and no one remembered me, including you two. You don't remember me, but I'm telling the truth."

"You—"

"Before you dismiss me, listen. I know you. When you were five years old, your parents, Jim and Laura Jackson, died in a plane crash 150 miles south of Lake Ontario at 3 A.M. You were raised by your uncle Rich Jackson. You dropped out of high school your last year because he had cancer and you had to take care of him, but then he died and you had to work small jobs like at the Sweet on America shop because you had no diploma. You want to become a writer.

"You met Poseidon because you can see through the Mist and you saw his trident. You've been able to see through the Mist since you were a kid, but no one believed all the crazy things you said you saw. You and Poseidon fell in love and had me. Poseidon was forced to leave and I never met my father until I found out I was a demigod. I've known for six years now, almost seven.

"And Paul, you're an English teacher at Goode High School. I know because I went there for two years because you helped me get in.

"I know this sounds crazy, but I'm telling the truth. You're my mother, and I want you back. I need you back," I finished.

"Would you give us a moment?" Paul asked and didn't wait for an answer as he pulled my mother—who looked pale and overwhelmed—out of her chair and to the other side of the room. They turned away from me and began talking quietly.

I wanted to think that they would believe me. But right now, they didn't remember that there were magical explanations to all of the crazy stuff that had happened in the past few years. They didn't remember anything about me, and they couldn't sense my powers like Poseidon could. Even if I showed them, it wouldn't convince them of the fact that they were my mother and step-father.

Before I could psych myself out, I uncorked the vial of gorgon's blood and poured half of the remaining contents into each of their coffee cups. I hid the vial just as they turned around and rejoined me at the table.

It was pure luck—something that didn't happen very often—that they both picked up their mugs and took a sip before saying anything else. They both coughed and took a few more sips, trying to get the taste out of their mouths. They didn't seem to suspect anything.

"So," my mother finally said, "you expect us to believe . . ." She trailed off, her eyes widening. Paul's did the same.

At the same time, they both looked at me and said, "Percy!"

"It worked? You remember?" I asked, sitting up in my chair.

"Percy, oh my beautiful boy!" my mother cried.

All of us got up from our chairs and joined in a group hug. I laughed and cried into my mother's shirt as she sobbed down my back. When we finally broke the hug, we moved into the living room, collapsing on the couch.

"Oh, Percy, I can't believe I didn't remember you for a year!" my mother said, cupping my face and looking me over. "Are you okay? Are you hurt? Where have you been all this time? What happened? Why—"

I laughed, taking her hands off of my face. "Calm down, it's okay. I'm fine. Let me tell you the whole story."

For the next hour, I recounted everything that had happened. I told them all about waking up at Camp Half-Blood to find out what had happened, talking to Dionysus, visiting Olympus, finding Camp Jupiter, and everything that happened since I joined the Twelfth Legion. My mother wasn't too happy when I showed her my tattoo, but she was mostly relieved that I was all right.

"I must say, my respect for you grows every time I hear about one of your adventures," Paul said after I finished.

"Why have you come back now, though?" My mom asked, holding my hand in both of hers. "And why do we remember?"

"Gorgon's blood," I said, choosing to answer the easier question first. "I kept the vials after killing them when I showed up at Camp Jupiter, and Dionysus and Poseidon told me which vial healed and which one killed. I split it between you two—I slipped it into your coffee, sorry about that—and Poseidon."

"What about Annabeth?" my mom asked.

I sighed. "I couldn't do that to her. We found out that Mnemosyne, the Titaness of memory, was the one who did this to everyone, and she's preparing an army. She's trying to weaken Camp Half-Blood so she can take down the Olympians, so I came back to help and try to get back everyone's memories. It won't be easy though. She has the best leverage over me that anyone's ever had. Even if we stop her, she probably won't reverse what she did, not that easily. I'll probably have to go back to Camp Jupiter, and I can't give back Annabeth's memories just to leave her again. She couldn't come with me, it's already a risk just to have one Greek in the Roman camp. I can't hurt her by making her remember me and then leaving her. As much as it hurts me, I just have to wait until everyone will remember."

My mom smiled. "You're growing up to be so wise. Annabeth will have to stop calling you Seaweed Brain after this."

I laughed. "I just hope it won't be long. This past year was torture. I don't know if I can go through it again."

My mother hugged me. "Whatever happens, Paul and I are here for you. You won't have to go through this with only Mr. D remembering you anymore. Now let's get you to Camp Half-Blood so you can teach that titan a lesson."