Chapter VIII: Lafayette is unhelpful

John tried his best the rest of his classes, and when his final class ended, he walked lazily to his dormitory. He already made plans, when he arrived, he would throw himself to his bed and take a well deserved nap. He listened to his music and hummed to it when no one was around, and finally reach his dorm. He took out the key and unlocked it, finding Alexander sitting on his own bed with the laptop in his lap, typing something.

"Oh hey John." Alexander said, still staring at his laptop. "How was class?" he looked up at John, and John felt his heart skip a beat once he connected eyes with Alexander. 'Oh it was great, I drew you naked! Want to see?'

"It was okay I guess... I mean, it's class, what do you expect?" he said smiling as he sat on his own bed, taking out his phone. Alexander chuckled and turned back to his laptop.

John sighed, at least Alexander saw him as a friend, right? He could live with that, it wouldn't be easy, but it was what he had, and maybe, just maybe, that will be enough for him, to help cope with the fact that he wouldn't be able to be with anyone. Hey, maybe he could even marry a girl and his father would like him again! What's the point of looking for love when you already found your soulmate? Besides, he misses his family; well, his father not a lot, but he would kill to have his approval again. He looked over at Alex. Was the approval really worth it? Should he really marry a girl? 'Heck, I should marry Peggy. She's asexual so she won't be pestering me about sex and how it's necessary for a marriage.' He groaned mentally, what was he thinking? He wouldn't marry a girl because he's a coward! A coward that can't even go to Alex and explain that he has two soulmates!

"John."

For fuck sakes, even if it could be a polyamorous relationship, Alexander is already happy with Eliza, and it said clearly that it was a choice. Why would Alexander pick him over Eliza? She was probably the only human being that was close to perfect. 'Alexander would actually be an idiot if he chose me over Eliza.' he thought and sighed.

"John!"

Was Alexander even polyamorous!? Maybe he wasn't! And if John ever dared tell him about this whole ordeal, what's telling him that Alexander won't go distant and stop being his friend!? It's better to have him as a friend than nothing.

"John!! Are you in there!?" Alexander was calling for him, making him snap out of his thoughts, and looked at John, blushing madly.

"Yeah! Umm, sorry, I was thinking." John sat down, he scratched the back of his neck, and blushed a deep shade of red, embarrassed out of his mind. Good work, John, you just embarrassed yourself in front of Alexander, such a nice move!

"Yeah I can see that." Alexander chuckled and he stood up. "I was talking with Eliza–" 'mental grown from John' "–and since you two take biology and biochemistry together, she found out your favorite animal. I just wanted to give you this gift for, you know, being my friend."

"A gift?" John smiled brightly. "What gift? What is it?" John instantly got excited, and sat down at the edge of his bed.

Alexander picked up a box from the side of his bed and opened it. It was turtle plushie, he threw it over to the smiling John. The curly haired boy is quickly caught it. "It's a turtle plushie. Eliza told me how you cried when you had to dissect a turtle, and well, we figured it was your favorite animal." Alexander smiled at him.

"It is!" John quickly hugged the plushie. "It may seem childish but turtles are my favorite animal in the whole world." he smiled at Alex, who smiled back. "It's just–"

*D I N G*

"What's that?" Alexander asked, looking over at John's computer, that was sitting on his desk.

"An email." John placed the turtle plushie gently on his pillow, and grabbed his laptop. "Which is weird since no one except the faculty has my email." he placed it on his lap, and blushed madly when Alexander stood up and sat besides him.

He opened his inbox, and gulped.

Email from henry.laurens.@gmail.com
Topic: Mid-Spring Ball

"Well, John you went pale, do you really hate balls that much?" Alexander teased him, but turned serious when John didn't laugh back. This was troubling John. "Hey, John are you okay?"

"N-No... my father wants to invite me to the Mid-Spring Ball of my house!" he closed the laptop as quick as possible and stood up. Alexander stood up too and watched the pacing John.

"Them just don't go." Alexander shrugged. "It's not like they're going to drag you over to... South Carolina, right?"

"R-Right... but if I don't go they're going to forbid me to enter the family bank account, my private account and just... heck, my father would even disown me if I disobeyed him." he bit his lip nervously. "And if I go there without a date, you can bet your ass I will be forced to marry Martha Manning..."

"But that's not your soulmate." said Alexander furrowing his eyebrows. "It's Gilbert." 'It's not him either, you idiot' thought John, but they were far from important to John right now.

"He can't make it... his family is in town from France, I can't tell to leave them." he said hugging himself.

"Maybe... you should call him and ask him what you could do." Alexander walked over to John, and his hands cupped John's cheeks. "Look at me, John, you need to calm down." they connected eyes, and John melted right then and there.

"I'm calm." he squeaked.

"No, you're not calm." Alexander whispered. John just sighed, and pulled away of Alexander's touch. "I'll call Lafayette for you." Alexander took John's phone and dialed the Frenchman.

Alexander walked out, and John stayed in his bed. Thinking. Would he be able of going back to that house after four years. His father knows he's gay, it would be a total waste of time to go, so why invite him?

It was about ten minutes when Alexander came back and gave John his phone. "What happened?" John asked him, looking up at him.

"Well, John." Alexander smiled at him faintly. "Guess who's going to be your date and pretend soulmate in that ball! Me." Alexander winked at him. John gulped.

'Oh fuck dammit!'

~fun fact: Alexander didn't give John the turtle plushie because he considers him a good friend
~ feel free to private message me any time !!
~ Sarah