Imagine being the one to save Ivar his horse - I

Words: 3204

A simple farmer life could get as complex as you wanted it. Yours wasn't that complex in the beginning, starting with a bird you healed from its broken wing it went to a goat with a wound to a horse with a serious leg injury. In that short amount of time your life became so much more fulfilling than it already was. You were just to settle with just milking the goats or trading the harvest of that year, you were just on the bad cold in the winter and the strong heat in the summer for there was no day that you spend inside. That was then, the farmer's life your parents raised you in. A live in which you were unnoticed for everybody outside the little farmer village you lived in. It was a good life, until you tasted something else, harbored your deep love for the animals and spread the word about your talent. Some said you could talk to the animals, others said you were God's righteous hand. You only saw yourself as a healer, not for the human kind but that for the animals. With hardly anybody around with that same kind of experience you were well known to be an animal healer, even more, a horse whisperer. And this is a story about you and how fast things could turn for the worse, because everyone has a weakness, how strong you may look. And his weakness ... was the horse that pulled his chariot, for without he couldn't move that much at all.

'Y/n, you need to help get the hay inside before it starts to rain!' Your father yelled. He may be a little old and rusty, but yelling was still one of his favorite things to do. Just like dreaming was often yours, like now. There wasn't a view you loved more than watching a horse move around you, certainly when it was Gyllir doing it. He was amazing, seeing how he putted his hooves in the grass while he cantered his gray muscular body around you, throwing his head up so his gray white manes had to follow. Sometimes you asked of he was just showing off for you. When he stood still he turned, looking at you with those pearl black eyes right in the eyes. You softly smiled, he snored as a reply stepping a little closer before stretching his neck, placing his nose against your shoulder. You turned your head and placed a kiss against his sensitive dark nose. He was your fame, the reason people started to talk about you. He was hardly something, lying on the side of the road waiting for somebody to kill him off when you found him. He had a pretty damaged leg, wip marks and wounds over his body. He laid there over a week before he could stand up and follow you here. 'Y/n!' Your father yelled again. Gyllir looked up and your smile grew bigger.
'Go!' You petted his neck and he walked off, like he understood it while you walked back to the fence. You closed it when you heard footsteps approaching, and not just one set, more. You turned around, looking to a group of Pagans. Sjolvir stood up, placing his high body beside you, pushing you almost out harms ways. He was just a dog, but he was dangerous to look at, more dangerous to handle. You raised him, he was loyal to you and nobody else. His brown yellow eyes stared towards the pagans entering the small village like they owned it.
'We don't trade with Vikings.' Your father immediately came in between.
'Husband.' Your mother reacted, pushing him out of the ways because of the Viking who was approaching him. You never saw a viking before, but you knew their stories and in all of them, it didn't end well for the other side, yours in this case. The villagers came together, the pagans just started looking over the faces. You heard they were around here, taking over Wessex, but coming here, in this way, you didn't saw that coming.
'There is been told a animal healer lives in this village.' The one in front began, the axe tensed between his fingers like he was planning on using it any second. You looked down out of instinct, just like everybody looked at you.
'There is no such person here.' You mother stated friendly. Sjolvir was still gazing, really working on the nerves of one of those men. He was tall enough to reach your hips, with his head even your ribs. You softly kicked him against his neck, he reacted by sitting down ... but nothing more.
'We are raiding this place soon enough, you better have that healer around then.' One smirked. The people started to get afraid, changing looks before looking over to you, like they pushed you to volenteer.
'What is it that you need?' You asked, scared for the answer.
'Y/n! Don't say another word!' You father hissed angry.
'Do you want to loose your head old man?' The pagan in charge asked before turning around to you, walking a little closer, what only revealed in Sjolvir standing up again, growling from the depths of his stomach. The pagan looked at him, grinning, not taking the threat that dog aside you outed serious. 'You have to come, my leader needs your expertise.' He commanded, like it wasn't for discussion.
'If your leader needs me he can come ask himself, and bring his problem along.' You pointed out, friendly. These were pagans, you know about their manors of handling things. This could get very dangerous in a small amount of time. And that little nervous and afraid tickling in the back of your stomach was enough for Sjolvir to keep threating the Viking before you.
'You don't know much do you fragile girl. You can come with me, spare your village the trouble or you can just stay here and I will get you my leader.'
'I will stay here.' You softly replied. The pagan started laughing, turning around while he started talking in Norse, words you hardly understand.
'I hope you are ready for him.' He spitted before you on the ground, giving you that gaze from up to down before he commanded his men to walk again. They left ... without a hint of violence, without so much as a drip of blood. You didn't knew you held your breath until they were out of sight. You slowly crouched down, your hand resting on that black head of Sjolvir. He looked at you, with some kind of a authority before gazing back to the road those Pagans left on.
'You gonna get yourself killed some day.' You whispered to him.

The only time Sjolvir wasn't around you was on the nights. Because he loved to do some midnight walks you locked him up in the shed with the other animals, in that way you were sure no wild animals would get to him. On the other side, he wasn't there to protect you. You harshly waked up from somebody restraining your wrist and covering your mouth. You started to kick your legs, screaming for there was no word getting behind the firm hand over your lips. That fear, it hit you like a horse would hit you, all at once. It grabbed at your throat while your body started to fight against the weight that pressed down on your chest. Your eyes were wide open and in some way you hardly saw something in the darkness. It was when they started to adjust to it you could find the body that hold you down. You looked for a face and found one, automatically stopping your body for whatever it wanted to do because of the coldness that face showed. Pagans always looked ruthless, not caring, arrogant, this one was different. He had those passionate deep blue eyes, the amusement hang around his lips, cocking up the corner while that concentrated rumple laid in his forehead.
'They told you I would come.' He hissed, lowering his face so his warm breath stroked your skin. You swallowed the fear, trying to get your one hand free from between his chest and yours. 'Don't look so afraid, it doesn't suit you.' He chuckled. The hand that wrapped your mouth relaxed a little, the tip of his finger rested shortly against your noise. 'Don't scream.' He warned you, softly letting go of your mouth. You tried to move your body away but he still held you down on so many ways it became hard to breath. The way he pushed control onto you made that smile so much more satisfied then it already was. 'So, I need you to treat my horse.' He pointed out what you already knew. 'And while you're at it you will give me your best horse in the meantime. The grey one, he looked,' he felt silent, looking up in the darkness so the bleu in his eyes got a different shade of darkness. 'outstanding.' He followed his previous words with a softer whispering. He knew that was your horse, he knew what Gyllir meant to you and that made you question how much people suffered before he decided to wake you up.
'You can't have him.' You whispered under his pressure.
'Hmmm,' he shook his head, fingers wrapping their way around your throat. He lowered his head again, almost placing his lips against yours while he started to press his fingers together. 'I always say, who doesn't listen just has to feel.' You hardly heard those words for he started to choke you. You tried to get you hand loose, tried to get away but hardly something helped. 'But I need you.' He announced after what looked like eternity. He let go of you and you loudly pulled in fresh air.
'Please.' You begged.
'No, you will do as I ask. I maybe can't hurt you but I can do some damage somewhere else.' He sounded amused. 'If I didn't done already.' He grinned, pulling his weight away and turning around. 'Get her out.' He commanded coldly. The next thing you felt were some hands grabbing around your upper arms, forcing you of the bed outside. Did this has to be the end of everything? Of the good fantasy you lived?