Chapter Fifty-Two

Start from the beginning

"Come on, let's go get some drinks and mingle," Steve said, leading the way.

The music was loud and the drinks were free. After several trips to the bar, the group had split up and gone their separate ways. Steve was off with some girl he had met, Trevor was wandering around enjoying the bit of celebrity that he possessed, and Deon was trying his best to fit in with a crowd that couldn't be more different than he was.

Trevor wasn't with Deon the entire night, and in hindsight he wished he would have. As Trevor was chatting with a group of people about how he started his company, he heard a commotion brewing on the other side of the pool. He didn't even need to look, he already knew the trouble was caused by Deon.

A fight broke out and Trevor rushed over to see what was happening. He arrived just as someone tackled Deon into the pool. Trevor wasn't about to dive in, so he was on the pool's edge just like everyone else. Suddenly a large amount of blood surrounded them. Some people screamed and called for security.

"Deon!" Trevor said.

"Help! I can't swim," he said, splashing around in a pool of red liquid.

Trevor removed his shoes and set his phone aside before diving in after him. He grabbed Deon and swam back to the pool's edge.

"You okay?" Trevor asked.

"Yeah, this guy attacked me."

"Are you hurt?"

"No, the blood isn't mine."

The man that Deon was fighting swam to the other side of the pool and was being pulled out by several of his friends.

"What the hell happened?" Trevor asked.

"I dropped my knife," Deon said, looking in the bottom of the pool.

"Your knife? Why do you have a knife?"

Deon didn't answer.

"Come on, let's get the hell out of here."

Climbing out of the pool, Trevor grabbed his things and rushed Deon out of the party.

"Wait here, I have to find Steve," Trevor said, searching through the crowd to find his buddy. Steve was making out with a girl and looked as though he didn't even hear the commotion.

"Steve," Trevor said, interrupting him. "We're leaving. Are you coming or are you staying?"

"Why are you wet?"

"No time to explain. I'm taking Deon out of here."

"Okay, I'll come with you guys, just give me a second."

Trevor went back to Deon who was surrounded my people. Deon looked a little freaked out. He was soaking wet and shouting at everyone.

"Deon," Trevor said, grabbing him. "We're leaving, let's go."

Trevor and Deon left the party dripping wet. Just as the elevator arrived, Steve and his date came running down the hall, holding hands.

"What happened?" he asked.

The elevator arrived and the doors opened. The four stepped inside and on the way down, Trevor asked Deon to tell them the story.

"Some guy was giving me shit for being there."

"So why didn't you walk away."

"He was clowning on me in front of all these girls."

"Wait, are you drunk?" Trevor asked.

"Hey, Trevor, go easy on him," Steve said. "We've all been his age once before and I can tell you I did way worse things than punching some douche bag at a party."

"I had a few drinks, but I wasn't drunk."

"See, this is way I didn't want you to drink. It impairs your judgement and you haven't demonstrated to me that you have sound judgement when you're sober."

"I'm sorry."

"Save it," Trevor said, still upset. "Let's just hope that guy doesn't press charges against you. By the way, did you stab him?"

"No."

"Then why was there so much blood coming out of him and your knife at the bottom of the pool? And don't even think about lying to me because I'll leave you here."

"He might have cut himself on my knife when he tackled me into the pool."

"Why did you pull a knife on him?"

"I don't know."

"Why do you even have a knife?" Trevor asked. "This is not how to handle your problems. You don't go around stabbing everyone who disagrees or causes beef with you."

"I always carry a knife, I thought you knew."

"Why would I know that?"

The elevator reached the ground floor and the four hurried through the lobby of the building. Two of them looked like drowned rats. The doorman gave a look of concern and offered to help in anyway.

"We're fine, thanks," Trevor said.

As soon as they stepped outside, two police officers rolled up and detained everyone.

"You're all under arrest," one of the officers said.

"Deon, whatever you do, keep your mouth shut. I'll handle this, okay?"