Chapter Two

Caught in early morning traffic, an all-black Maybach took a left on West Georgia Street, heading into the heart of Downtown Vancouver. Concealed from the outside world behind tinted windows, Trevor Morrison reclined in the backseat, checking the markets. His wife Ashley scrolled through Instagram. A soundproof acrylic glass division separated them from their driver. Trevor cherished this quiet time alone before the melee of the office. As the President, CEO, and founder of Unity Inc. he had a lot on his plate.

A large flat screen mounted in front of him played the morning news. "New York City mega mogul Robert Whitman has been spotted several times in Vancouver. There's no word yet as to what is the nature of Whitman's visit, however, some speculate that he is looking to invest in Vancouver's fast-growing real estate market and tech industry..."

Robert Whitman's reputation proceeded him. Among other things, the New York City tycoon was known for being one of the richest men in the world, having built his billion-dollar empire from the ground up. Those who had done business with him would describe him as ruthless and cutthroat. Being a celebrity in his own right, he was not one to shy away from controversy. His impressive achievements was often overshadowed by seemingly never-ending list of public fiascoes. Nevertheless, he deemed any attention as good attention.

One thing he wasn't known for was having business in Vancouver, Canada. So when word came out that he was flying in to YVR airport on his private jet, news travelled fast. No one knew the purpose of his trip as he was always shrouded in secrecy and declined to comment. He seemed to enjoy leaving his actions and motives concealed from the public.

Since Vancouver was home to one of the largest financial tech company in the world, many news sources made the logical connection that Robert Whitman was looking to get in on the action of Unity Inc. Others speculated that he was scouting future locations for one of his luxury hotels.

"What do you think of this guy?" Ashley asked, sitting next to Trevor on the morning drive.

"Anyone who needs that much attention must be a megalomaniac," Trevor said. "But of course, I don't know him personally so I shouldn't judge."

"They're saying that he's here to meet you. Have you heard from him?"

"Who's saying that?" Trevor asked.

"I don't know... people."

"I don't pay attention to that. And no, I have not heard from him. Like everyone else, I have no clue why he's in Vancouver. Maybe he's on vacation. After all, we live is one of the most beautiful places on earth."

"I agree, but Robert Whitman doesn't strike me as the type to put on his running shoes and jog the seawall."

"Grouse Grind?" Trevor said.

"The man's like 70! And by the looks of him, he doesn't appear to be in all that good of shape."

"Hey, you don't know," Trevor said, "I get passed by old ladies on the Grind all the time. You know what they say, 'never judge a book by its cover'."

Having spent many years apart while Trevor was in law school, it was amazing that the newlyweds could spend so much time together and nurture their relationship.

Ashley was brought on two years ago when she and Trevor rekindled their relationship. Trevor appointed her as his Director of Finance. Some people frowned upon Trevor hiring his fiancé, but those same people were also Trevor's friends, so they were in a similar category as she was. So far, living together and working together was going well for them. They even ate most of their lunches together.

The car pulled into a private underground parking facility in Unity headquarters and came to a stop by a set of elevators. They both exited the vehicle and rode the elevator together.