Chapter Sixty

Walking hand in hand, Trevor took Ashley on the same walk that he had done a hundred times in the past several months. Trailing behind them in plain clothes was retired soldier turned amateur MMA fight, Mike "The Collector" Stevenson. Permitted to carry a gun, battle-hardened, and a trained killer, he was now her personal security. Trevor hired him to follow Ashley everywhere she went.

Heading west toward Stanley Park, they strolled the seawall. Ashley was still very pregnant and hadn't seen a lot of exercise lately. It was her idea to get outside and enjoy the beautiful scenery Vancouver had to offer. Nevertheless, Trevor remained mindful of her discomfort at all times.

"Let me know if your feet get sore," he said.

"They're already sore, but it's okay. I haven't had proper exercise like this in a while."

"We're lucky it's not raining."

"We're lucky in general."

After doing several media interviews and depositions, the young couple just wanted to escape their crazy lives.

"Can we just have the baby and disappear for a while?"

"We can do whatever you want after the baby is born, but I think we should remain in Vancouver for the birth and for the weeks following so that you can properly recover."

"I agree."

The walk continued for a while longer before they headed back.

"You know, we should probably stop by the office and say hello to everyone. I mean, if you're up for it. I'm sure there are a lot of people who are eager to see you again."

"How many of them were at my funeral?"

"It was a large gathering. Nearly everyone from the office was there."

"That will be so weird going back. It'll be like I've come back from the dead."

"Yes, trust me, it's very weird to be with someone you thought was dead, but therein lies a great life lesson — cherish the ones you love and treat every moment with them as if it's your last."

Unity Inc. headquarters was located downtown, just off Burrard Street. Cutting through some of the less busy side streets, they found their way into the lobby of the building. Stepping into the elevator, they pressed the button for the nineteenth floor.

"You ready for this?" Trevor asked.

"I guess so. I'm just as excited to see them as well."

"Somehow I doubt that. These people were at your funeral."

"Good point."

The elevator doors opened and Trevor and Ashley walked into the office. The receptionist nearly leaped over the counter to run up and hug them both. The commotion caught the attention of everyone in the office who stopped whatever they were doing to come over to see the boss and his wife. There were claps, cheers, and a lot of tears as the couple broke down themselves.

"Oh my gosh, it's so good to see you!"

"Welcome back!"

"I missed you so much!"

It was truly a surreal moment for them. After all the praise and adoration, Ashley felt compelled to give a speech.

"I'm not great with speeches, especially ones I haven't prepared for, but I will give it a shot," she began, wiping tears from her face and collecting her thoughts. "I've looked forward to this moment every day for the past few months. Thank you all for the love and support you have shown me and Trevor throughout this trying ordeal. I know it probably wasn't easy for a lot of you who were close to me to come to work and put on a brave face. Even for those who weren't close to me, it couldn't have been easy for you working in an office with a gloomy atmosphere. So I appreciate your hard work as well."

Ashley paused and took a deep breath before continuing her impromptu speech. "I speak for both of us when I say we're truly blessed to know each and every one of you. You all mean so much to Trevor and I and we cannot wait to have this baby and come back to work. Thank you."

There was not a dry eye in the place as the entire staff crowded around and were applauding her. After giving hugs to everyone in the office and having a small conversations with a select few, Trevor and Ashley were back in the elevator heading into the lobby.

"Did you really mean that part about you cannot wait to come back to work?" Trevor asked.

"I mean, I plan to return to work eventually. I'm just not sure in what capacity."

"What are your thoughts about creating the 'Morrison Foundation for Kids Who Don't Read Good'?"

"Very funny."

"Obviously I'm joking about the name, but we've always talked about using our resources to help those who are less fortunate climb out of poverty and discover their potential."

"Whatever you decide, let's be sure we do it together," Ashley said.

"Okay."

"I love you."

"I love you too."