Chapter Fifty-Two

The food was amazing and the drinking kept coming all night. If there was one thing to know about Steve, it was that he knew how to have a good time.

After dinner, he insisted on paying, which was a nice gesture. Trevor wasn't used to being on the receiving end of a free meal, and it felt nice.

"Tonight, we're going out to the hottest club in the city."

"Yo, I'm only eighteen," Deon said.

"It's all good yo," Steve said in a mocking tone. "Don't worry about it. I run New York!"

"Steve, you've lived here for less than a year, relax on the whole 'I run New York' talk."

"Whatever. Tonight we are going to get so drunk that we won't remember our own names."

"Deon doesn't drink," Trevor said.

"Yes I do."

"Not when you're with me you don't."

"Oh come on, Trevor," Steve said, "When did you become such a prude? Like you didn't drink when you were underage."

"Yeah Trevor, relax a little. We're in New York City!" Deon said.

"Don't let me see you drinking."

"Fine, I promise you won't see me drinking."

The three left the restaurant and took a car service to an exclusive party in the upper east side of Manhattan. Pulling up to the posh building, Trevor asked what kind of party it was.

"All I know is that you need an invite to get in, the party lasts all night long, and some of the finest women will be there."

"Sounds amazing," Deon said.

"Look, Deon. I need you to behave yourself tonight."

"What are you, his dad?" Steve asked.

"I'm being serious. Stay out of trouble. Control your energy."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," Deon said, stepping out of the car.

Steve led the way into the building and spoke to the doorman. The doorman held up a tablet and looked for Steve's name on the guest list. "You're good, go ahead."

The party was on the top floor. As the elevator climbed, the doors eventually opened on the 30th floor. The entire time, Steve was talking nonstop.

Stepping into the hall, they approached the penthouse suite. In front of the door was a large bouncer. Trevor and Deon hung back and let Steve do all the talking. Just as the doorman had done, he found Steve's name on the guest list and waved them through.

Just as they were walking in, the bouncer said, "Hold it", causing them all to stop. "How old are you?" he said, looking at Deon.

"He's twenty-one," Steve said. "Would you like to see our I.D.'s?"

"No, you two are good, just him."

"Actually, I think I have his I.D.," Steve said, shoving his hand in his pocket. He pulled out a wad of one hundred dollar bills and peeled off one. "Here you go," Steve said, handing it to the bouncer.

The bouncer accepted the bribe and the three were allowed to proceed into the party.

Once inside, Deon said, "Thank you so much, Steve. I really appreciate it!"

"No worries at all. A friend of Trevor's is a friend of mine."

The music was loud and there were more woman than men. There was a pool in the centre of the rooftop patio, which glowed blue. All around it, people were dancing or standing in small groups talking. To one side there was a bartender serving drinks.