Chapter Forty-Nine

An all-black Maybach with tinted windows pulled up to the call centre where Deon worked. A well-dress man with dark glasses stepped out and caught the attention of everyone who was in the area. The man told his driver to wait for him as he confidently entered the building.

By now, Deon was past his training period and was on the main floor taking calls from customers. In the middle of a lengthy discussion with an irate customer over a fee reversal, Deon felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned around and was surprised to see Trevor standing behind him. With his phone on mute, he said, "Trevor, what are you doing here?"

"I came to ask you a question."

"Okay, what is it?"

"Do you enjoy what you do?"

"Is that a trick question?" Deon asked.

"No, it's not a trick question. Answer honestly."

"The truth is... I hate it here."

Trevor smiled and said, "Okay, let's go."

"Go where? I still have a customer on the phone."

"Tell him you'll transfer him to the CEO of the company."

"Are you being serious?"

"Yeah, let me talk to him."

"Okay, hold on." Deon unmuted his headset and spoke to the irate man. "Sir, I understand you're upset. If you would like, I can transfer you to the CEO of the company."

The customer was speechless.

"I can get the CEO, Trevor Morrison on the line for you if you'd like," Deon reiterated.

"Uh... sure," the customer said.

Deon stood up and handed Trevor his headset. Taking over the call, Trevor began with an introduction.

"Hi, Mr. Chancer, I'm Trevor Morrison. I'm the president and CEO of Unity Inc. How may I help you?"

"Is this the real, Trevor Morrison?"

"It sure is, how may I assist you today, sir?"

"I was calling about a fee that was charged to my account in error."

"Say no more, we've taken care of it for you. You'll see the reversal within 3 – 5 business days. I appreciate your business. Was there anything else I can assist you with?"

"No, that's all. Thanks."

"My pleasure. Thank you for using Unity Card. Enjoy the rest of your day."

Trevor disconnected the call and instructed Deon to reverse the fee.

"You made that look so easy."

"It was easy."

"So you just do whatever the customer says?"

"I don't want to nickel and dime my customers. He's asking for a $5.00 fee reversal. I didn't even look into his account to see whether it was justified or not. But what's five dollars to a big company like Unity? Not a lot. So there's no sense arguing with a man and creating a bad sentiment of the company. In the long run, not reversing the fee would end up costing us more money than had we just reversed it."

"Good point."

"And the lesson is?"

"Don't argue with people?"

"Yes, but also, always look at the bigger picture. Now get your stuff, we're going to New York?"

"New York? I can't go to New York."

"Why not?"

"First of all, I don't have a passport. Second, I've never flown before. And third, I'm working."

"Those sound like a lot of really great excuses."

"They're not excuses."

"Don't worry about any of those things. I'm here providing you an opportunity. Are you going to let something stand in your way, or are you going to take it?"

"I'm going to take it."

"Good answer. Let's go."

"Wait, I need to tell my manager I'm leaving."

"I already did that for you."

"Should I at least say goodbye?"

"That may be a good idea. Hurry up though."

Deon said goodbye to a few people. Many of them were shocked to see him walk out of the building with the president and CEO of the company.

Waiting out front was a chauffeur, standing by the car with the door open. Deon climbed in one side and Trevor got in on the other.

"This is crazy," Deon said.

"What's so crazy about going to New York?"

"The whole thing — getting picked up by the CEO of the company, getting a chauffeur to take us to... wait, where are we going?"

"The airport."

"How long are we going to be in New York? I need to pack some clothes."

"Do you even own luggage?"

"No."

"So how are you going to pack?"

"I don't know."

"You know, it's fun seeing the look on your face sometimes. You remind me of a younger version of myself. A much uglier version of course."

"Yeah yeah, whatever."

"So what's in New York?"

"One of my oldest friends lives there. His name is Steve. I think you two will get along."

"So we're going to visit your friend?"

"Yeah, among other things. Take some meetings, see the sights, do some shopping, eat at some nice restaurants."

"Is it okay that I just left? I mean, I don't want to lose my job."

"Do you even like that job?"

"No."

"So what do you care if you lose something you don't even want?"

"I need money to live."

"When you came to me, you didn't ask to be a customer service rep at a call centre. You asked me to teach you how to be successful. I think it was a mistake to have you walk the same path as me since we're on different journeys. As far as money goes, don't worry about that. I got a new job for you."

"Oh yeah, what's that?"

"You're going to be my personal assistant. That is, if you want it of course."

"I mean, yeah that would be great."

"But?" Trevor asked, sensing a slight reservation.

"No, it's just... don't you already have a personal assistant?"

"I guess now I have two."