Twenty-Eight - Winter of Discontent

Start from the beginning

     'Light my cigarette?' he said, taking his silver tin out of his tunic pocket. 'I haven't got a lighter.'

     I struck a match and did so. He'd never smoked before the war, but neither had Petey. Now watching him, it seemed the only thing that grounded him.

     'I made a soldier for your mum,' he said, reaching back into his pocket and pulling out his own soldier. It broke my heart to see he had no legs. 'Tell her I said happy birthday. And many happy returns.' 

     'Of course, Alf.' I took it from him and put it with the others, taking his hand and giving it a gentle squeeze. His palms were rough, callused from months of army duties. 'Get some rest now. Ring if you need anything.'

     'Thank you, Charlotte.'

     I came across Mama, Papa, and Major Kingsley in the entrance hall when I finally emerged, standing in a nervous huddle by the foot of the stairs. Mama's face was creased with worry lines, and Papa's hand was clenched into a fist in his trouser pocket.

     'You're absolutely certain, Arthur?' Mama was saying, beginning to gnaw on a thumbnail.

     'The reports have confirmed it. He is at large with the weapon, and he intends to finish what he started.' Kingsley sounded tired, running a hand over his greying hair. 

     Oh bloody hell, no.

     'But we had watchers on the Embassy the whole time,' Papa said angrily. 'How on earth could he have escaped?'

     'They were all killed,' said Kingsley, his voice and expression grave. 'Poisoned, I think. No one seems to be able to confirm anything yet.'

     'Is there anything we can do?' Mama stopped gnawing at her finger and started kneading her knuckles instead. 'Any way to pinpoint his location?'

     'I will have all the obvious places combed over first.' Kingsley heaved out a breath. 'The Order, of course, the German Embassy again, Embassies fighting on the Germans' side. The House of Commons, possibly. Perhaps he had an MP hide him, if bribed enough.'

     'German currency is worth nothing as it is,' Papa said, frustrated. 'How could that have possibly been an incentive, unless something was offered alongside it?'

     'Perhaps something more, then.' Kingsley shook his head. 'We will not know for sure until we have tracked the man down. But until then, I ask you to stay here, in this house. Do not come to London, no matter how urgent the matter. You are safe here.'

     'I worry about your safety, Arthur,' Mama said, catching his elbow. 'You, as the Head of the Order, are in the most danger...'

     'I have fought Germans on the battlefields of France, Emma. And I have fought them in the halls of government. Wittenberg, hiding on our home soil, does not scare me.' His grey eyes hardened, and he seemed even more intimidating in his soldier's uniform.

     'Be careful, Arthur.' Papa grasped Kingsley's hand and his shoulder. 'Wittenberg will stop at nothing to see us defeated.'

     'I certainly will, Christopher. You needn't worry about me.'

     I kept going about my business after that, because both Kingsley and Papa had sensed me lingering, their eyes finding mine. Kingsley gave me a small nod, almost imperceptible, as he donned his cap and went out. Papa's gaze held mine for a bit longer, and I knew he would be asking me about it later. My habit of eavesdropping was going to get me in trouble soon enough.

||

We held Mama's birthday celebration in the dining room, off-limits to soldiers. Only our immediate family, joined by Aunt Cath, Lord Burnham, Grace, and Alf were allowed. Mama had deemed another birthday celebration unnecessary, but we disagreed. We all needed something to celebrate now and then, giving us a chance to be grateful.