II - Trial of Legend

"The old oak trembled
And the fall of it was great
So great villains fall"

"Once there were small flowers
Swaying in the gentle wind
until the rain came"

-Untitled Haikus from Matt's notebook

---

A week passed. Matt was thrown into a jail cell below the Immortal world. He was fed well enough. The bed was soft enough. He was not uncomfortable.

The guards came. Matt stood when they opened the cell door, and stepped out. Roughly, they pushed him along.

They walked him out of the Immortal world and into the Second dimension.

The town square had been destroyed in wars of the past, and Zach had set up a podium and some chairs to serve as a court.

Matt was sat down in the center.

Everyone was there. Everyone from the battle- except for Sky.

Zach was the judge.

Raven, Dak, Varrick, Finn, Juan, Noah, and Maddie were all there. There wasn't much of a gathering. There weren't many people in the world to gather.

"Well, without further delay, we'll begin," Zach started, but as he did, Sky walked in and everyone fell quiet. She walked with her head down, and sat beside Noah. Matt's eyes were glued on her, longingly.

Zach suddenly realized he'd fallen silent, and picked up his slack. "Let's begin with the charges.

"Matt, you're charged with the murder of Alex, who worked on our side against Harley. You are charged with murdering Sky, also an ally and your girlfriend. You are charged with evading the law and not turning yourself in for the two murder charges. You murdered the king of the Second dimension, who also happened to be your father, and forcefully took that throne from Maddie for yourself. You murdered King Juan of the Third dimension. You murdered Finn, the head of the Royal Guard in the Second dimension. You murdered King Noah of the Fourth dimension. You harmed and murdered innocent guards and civilians. You unlawfully became an Immortal without permission from the Immortal leader, me. You killed Harley for selfish gain. You waged war on all the heroes, and attempted to murder me. The whole time, you failed to do your job as the Dark Prophet of the Fourth dimension, did not act as a king for the Second dimension, abused your power as an Immortal, and evaded the law and your warrant. Is any of this untrue?"

Matt was still staring at Sky. He didn't respond. Zach seemed to take that as a no.

Zach nodded. "It would be unwise to let such a magnitude of great crimes go unpunished, which is why we are here today. Obviously, the crimes committed outdo any sort of punishment within any of our power, but we will do our best. The first order of business is to decide whether or not he lives. The people vote."

Juan was the first to stand. "He deserves to die," Juan said firmly. Finn stood up as well, nodding. "After all he's done, death is a merciful punishment," Finn muttered, his eyes on Zach so as to avoid looking at Matt.

Zach only nodded. "Two in favor of death."

Noah stood up next, leaving Sky. Sky simply looked at the ground. Noah looked around at everyone, including Matt, who was still looking at Sky.