VII - Two Kinds of Madness Part 2

From that moment, the best way to describe what happened would be to say that they fell madly in love.

And even that is an understatement.

From hanging out all the time, they went to being together pretty much always.

The couple was inseperable, and their relationship was good for both of them. They taught each other how to be in a relationship. They taught each other how to be content with their lives.

They were not public about their relationship; they decided to keep it to themselves. There was no reason for the world to know about Matt and Sky.

Concerns drifted away. They forgot about the troubles with the world, and the absence of Zach. It didn't matter to them. Although it was cheesy, they had each other, and that was enough.

However, life could not stay that simple for long. Only about six months, actually.

"Guess what?" Sky covered Matt's eyes from behind. Matt laughed, shaking his head. "What?"

"It's my birthday!"

"What?" He turned around, pushing her hands down and smiling at her. "Why didn't you tell me before now? I could've gotten you something!"

Sky only laughed as Matt went on about how he could have at least bought her a cheap piece of jewlery or something.

She shook her head, smiling. "Your birthday present for me is your time. I want to hang out with you today, that's all."

Matt smiled at her, probably relieved she wasn't upset with him for not having a gift. "Of course. That's the least I can do," he smiled. She leaned down, kissing him on the cheek happily.

The two spent all day together staring at trees, looking at clouds, and throwing each other in the river. It was a normal day, with some extra birthday girl teasing from Matt.

When evening came, though, there was a deviation in the routine. "Zach got me a present," Sky said, looking over at Matt with a smile. He looked at her, slightly startled.

Matt, as Sky had been, was surprised Zach even knew about their relationship; they hadn't exactly told him. But then again, he was Zach. Zach always knew everything.

Sky drew a bottle of champagne from behind her back. "He said I should share it with you," she smiled, blushing slightly. Matt simply laughed. "It's your birthday. Whatever you want."

And so, they drank together.

"It's hot out here," Sky said, sitting by Matt, looking at the starry sky. "I blame you," Matt chuckled, bumping her shoulder. "What? Why?" Sky laughed slightly. "Because you're hot!" Matt grinned, making Sky's face flush. "Stop that," Sky muttered, hitting his arm. "Stop what? Complimenting you? Everything I say is true. You are hot. And you're adorable when you're all embarrassed, too," Matt said, looking at her. "Maattt," Sky said, looking away from him. Matt just laughed, leaning over and pecking her cheek. "I hate you," Sky muttered, hiding her face. "Well, I love you," Matt smiled at her. Sky grumbled, and smiled. "I love you too, Matt," she finally said. Matt just chuckled. "Well that's good, because I have like a mega-huge crush on you."

Sky laughed, shaking her head. "Well I hope so, we're dating."

The conversation continued, with Matt's flirting and Sky trying to get him to stop. They finished Zach's gift at some point during their conversation.

The two fell asleep under the stars, after spending all day together.

At some point in the early morning hours, Matt woke up.

Sky was nowhere to be seen.

Immediately, he was concerned. Her things were still there, but she was missing.

Only a few hours had passed; not all the alcohol had worn off, and hangover was only just setting in.

Matt got up, and started looking for Sky.

In a matter of minutes, he found her.

He found her, and some guy was whispering in her ear.

And then, as Matt watched, "some guy" kissed Sky.

And Sky didn't push him away.

The guy's name was Alex. He was a flirt who worked for Zach. He was an ally.

An ally who was kissing the love of Matt's life.

To Sky's credit, she wasn't being very active in the kiss. However, she didn't push Alex away.

"Sky?" Matt's voice broke at the same time his heart did.

Suddenly, Sky's mind snapped to clarity, and she sobered up. "Matt! I- can explain," she stammered, Matt simply staring at her, Alex standing shocked beside her.

Alex hadn't known about Matt and Sky. They'd kept a low profile. They hadn't told him.

"Sky, what are you doing?" Matt sounded hurt, but there was a different undertone to his words. "I'm so sorry," Sky began, "I swear. I love you, and only you, and-"
"Doesn't look like it."
"Matt, you're the only one I've ever loved. I love you more than anything!"
"It doesn't look like it to me."

The words stung Sky's heart. Matt wasn't listening. He heard her words, but he wasn't listening. His voice slowly rose. Sky pleaded with him, tears rolling down her face.

Finally, Alex stepped forward with a, "Woah, man. This was my fault. I didn't know- you two- this is my fault, just calm down."

Matt's eyes shifted to Alex. "Fine. If it was your fault..." Matt pulled out his gun; Alex took a bullet to the head. "...then you deserve to die."

Sky screamed, and sobbed, and started to plead with Matt again, but something in him had snapped.

"It was the champagne," she said weakly. "I love you, Matt. Only you."

"I love you, too," Matt said, his voice ominously soft, "And that's the problem."

Sky had set off a ticking time bomb.

She'd broken his heart. But it was so much more than that. His anger at his parents, especially his father, was pouring out. They'd sent him to Mason alone even though Aaron knew how that felt. His frustration with the ever-crushing family legacy of heroes he was expected to somehow uphold was brimming over. Every other problem he'd pushed aside for so long were pouring out, and they were exploding.

She blamed it on the champagne; he'd been drinking, too. She apologized; he simply wasn't listening.

He was blinded by his hurt, and frustration, and anger.

Matt took his gun again. He aimed it at Sky.

'He's bluffing,' Sky thought. 'There's no way Matt would actually shoot me.'

There was a tense moment, where everything was still.

Finally, Sky spoke, her voice trembling, tears still spilling down her face. "I love you," she whimpered.

She was begining to realize that she was about to lose him. Maybe she already had.

Matt was silent for a long moment.

"I love you, too," Matt said, through gritted teeth, his eyes dark, cloudy, and cold.

Bang.

The bullet pierced her heart, as if to say:

The only good thing in my life betrayed me. You broke my heart; now I'll break yours.