IX - The Beginnings of it All

Time passed. Zach was busy saving the world, and the buisness of keeping time moving in the Fourth dimension fell solely into Matt's hands. He was doing all the work while Zach was off doing the stuff of legends.

Matt wasn't too upset; most of the time he lounged around and stared at trees and such. Running time, after all, is a mental struggle. Matt was used to it, and he wasn't made to be a legendary hero anyway. Not in his mind, at least.

Zach didn't alltogether abandon Matt; he sent someone to make sure Matt was doing his job. Since Zach couldn't do it himself, he sent Sky to make sure Matt stayed in the Fourth dimension and kept time running alone.

So actually, he pretty much completely abandoned him.

Sky no longer almost shot Matt. She actually tried to make conversation with him. Usually their chats didn't last long, though; Matt was not one to enjoy talking to others. It wasn't like he'd ever had any friends before, why should it have changed then?

But of course, it did. Eventually, Sky got Matt to at least be friendly to her. He'd greet her, and listen to her talk about her day. He'd engage in minimal conversation.

Most of the time she'd find him doing pointless activities that were simply wastes of time. He would be sitting in front of a tree, trying to find all the letters in the alphabet made by the patterns in the bark. He would be skipping rocks on the river (when it was calm). He would be braiding blades of tall grass, or laying on his back, looking at the sky.

Sky would always ask him how he didn't get fat from just lounging around all the time, and his reply was usually along the lines of, "I do things to keep me from getting fat." She hardly believed him, but he never got fat.

Again, Matt was tall, lean, and fit, with dark hair and eyes. Sky, however, was average sized, and had blonde hair and blue-green eyes. Their physical appearances were starkly different, but other than that, they had a lot in common. Slowly, their friendship grew. Slowly, Matt actually started to appreciate her checking in on him. He had no other friends, after all.

One day, Sky found Matt sitting in a tree. He wasn't doing anything, really, and she knew he usually wasn't very fond of heights. "What're you doing in a tree?" She asked the obvious, to which he replied, "Remember those 'things to keep me from being fat'? Just got done." He hopped down from the tree, pushing his hair out of his face.

Another time, the two of them were just talking, and Matt said something that rhymed that was kind of deep. Jokingly, Sky told him that he should be a poet. He laughed, said something dumb, and told her that's why he's not a poet.

Eventually, Sky found out about Matt's poor relationshiop with his parents. She was set on helping him fix it. He agreed to talk to his parents, at least- but only because she kept bugging him about it.

Matt and his mother spoke as aquaintences, instead of family. Aaron didn't speak at all. (In his defense, Aaron was known as "Aaron the Slug". He was slow to think and process things most of the time; occasionally he would say te right thing at the right time, but that was mostly luck). The most signifigant part of the conversation was the end; his mother said, "I love you," and he returned the words. It was the first time he'd ever said it to his mother. Although he thought Sky wasn't listening (she was "debating" with his uncle, Finn), she was. And for the rest of the day, she was in a good mood.

Matt and Sky trusted each other, after a few years of friendship.

And so, the infamous spiral began.