Untitled Part 20

The ride to the airport was uneventful...if you counted being trailed by two cars and several motorcycles that kept appearing and disappearing into the side streets.

"They're not very good at hiding," said Jake observing from Claire's truck.

"I don't think they're hiding," said Leon from the steering wheel. Claire sat next to him in the front and was loading each of their firearms. Jake admired their calm under pressure. He knew they were used to it. Even Sherry was calmly checking her weapons. Jake had checked his repeatedly already.

The cars simply trailed them, not pulling up close. It made Jake nervous. He badly wanted to take the fight to Wesker. His half-brother? He certainly did not want to claim any relation to the guy who'd hurt Sherry so badly she was having nightmares. Fuck that, he thought.

Suddenly one of the cars pulled forward in a maneuver that took Leon by surprise. A motorcycle pulled in front of their truck distracting Leon for a moment as it hit the brakes, Leon simply rammed it, sending the motorcycle flying. Jake in the back seat grinned. God he loved this guy sometimes.

But then the lead car hit them from the side which sent the truck spinning on the highway.

"Shit." That was all Jake had to hear from Leon to know they were in trouble. The truck flipped over and landed back on its wheels.

"Sorry Claire," Leon said quickly attempting to reverse back onto the road.

"Just don't make a habit out of it," she replied sticking her gun out of the now broken window and firing behind them. The truck was limping along and Jake realized a tire was either flat or out of place.

"We close to the airport yet?" He said.

"Five minutes," said Leon. "Ready?"

"Yes," said Sherry from the back.

They'd planned this out earlier, knowing they were going to be followed.

Jake and Sherry each unbuckled their belts, there was a vehicle hidden out here for them to use. One that wasn't going to be reported stolen when it disappeared. Timing this just right was crucial though because if they were seen leaping from the truck then all their plans were pretty much for naught. Leon's original plane was to drop them off but company meant that was no longer likely.

Or the plans are already fucked, Jake thought as he readied himself to jump, checking to make sure Sherry was right behind him. Leon swerved near the fence and Jake leapt from the truck hoping Sherry made the jump. He heard the thud as she hit the ground and rolled into the ditch next to him. It was dark here and they both crouched low listening as Leon drove the truck on down the road. They didn't move until the sounds of the cars died away.

"I hope they'll be all right." Whispered Sherry as a breeze began to stir up.

"Just stay down a minute longer." Jake whispered ears straining. It wouldn't do any good if there were stragglers or if someone had thought to come back.

"We should go now," Sherry said noting the absolute silence. Jake had one hand pressed down on the small of her back. It was a reflex she knew but she didn't like the way it was keeping her flat, she wanted to take off running already. "If we're caught here all this will be for nothing, we don't need anyone reporting they saw hitchhikers."

"Ok, Leon's good, remember?" He whispered back. "We want to be away from here before that plane goes up in smoke."

Leon's plan had been to blow the plane as it took off, so completely that nothing would survive inside of it. It required losing their tails first, but he didn't believe Leon had thought there would be quite so many.

He waited another moment waiting for the all clear. The airport was public space and if Leon made it into the gates he doubted there would be a pursuit. Unless they were desperate which was equally as likely.

He reached for Sherry's hand and pulled her to her feet as he stood himself. "Ready?"