The Puppy Needs Training.

Jake went outside the front door of the hotel to check out the scenery.

He didn't like it. There were too many vantage points and too many people. New York was bigger than any city he'd ever visited and he wasn't sure he was even a fan. The atmosphere inside the lounge area was a little too crowded. It wasn't any better outside. Claire had continued to study him like he was going to turn into his father any second all through breakfast.

That kind of scrutiny was almost begging for something to happen.

Almost.

He wasn't sure what it would take to convince that woman that he was here for Sherry and nothing else. He had no bad intentions toward anyone. He certainly wasn't about to wipe out all life as they knew it. His father could go to hell. He'd help him pack if he wasn't there already.

Devon came out behind him, bumping into his shoulder from behind and knocking Jake off balance as he did so. The stiffened posture told Jake it was intentional, and Jake's bad mood darkened further.

"What the hell is your problem with me?" Jake snapped glaring at him, unable to keep his irritation under wraps any longer. This was the second time Devon had run into him on purpose. Perhaps it was time to have it out with the BSAA agent. They were supposed to be on the same side after all. Maybe the guy had a hard time telling who the real enemy was.

Tension spiraled out between them as they faced each other on the sidewalk. Oddly enough no one seemed to either notice or want to get involved. 

"You are," Devon said, stepping in close.

Jake turned a cold stare on Devon, his shoulders were knotted with tension and his fists were balled aching to swing into Devon's face.

"You're bad for Sherry."

Jake almost laughed out loud. Almost. 

"Sherry's the last person to be in danger from me," Jake's voice dropped low, dripping with venom. "But you asshole, you're getting close to being the first."

Both men were locked into a stare daring the other to make the first move. Jake was determined to let Mr. BSAA big shot strike first. He had a feeling Sherry was going to be pissed if he took the first shot. But he couldn't be blamed for defending himself. 

He glared at the younger man hoping that he'd take the hint and back off. Jake didn't think he'd have a problem dropping him. Devon was too hot under the collar for a mission like this. Plus he wasn't the enemy they were supposed to be fighting.

"What did you say?" Said Devon getting even closer to his face and more into his personal space. The tension increased tenfold and people began to make space around them. Cell phones were being raised. 

Nope, not taking the hint at all. 

Devon was maybe 6 feet tall, Jake had an extra 3 inches on him and stared him down his eyes narrowed, his face red. He jabbed the agent in the chest when his finger.

"You don't want to do this, asshole."

"I think I do," said Devon. If he could have gotten any closer into Jake's personal space, he would have.

"Is there a problem here?" Chris Redfield's calm authoritative voice cut through the tension like a hot knife through butter. The air seemed to sizzle momentarily. People stepped back, some looking disappointed at the lack of action.

"No, Sir," said Devon glancing at Chris with an expression that was half rebellion, half guilt. His fists were still clenched.

At the same time, Jake said, "Redfield, better keep this puppy on a leash. Let him know he's biting off more than he can chew."

"You basta—" Devon came at Jake swinging and Chris jumped in front of him grabbing his arm and pinning it behind his back before he could finish the uppercut.

Jake paused again surprised. This was the second time Chris Redfield had stepped between him and a potential problem. He was going to owe the guy if he kept that up.

"Enough! Stand down," Chris snapped not loosening his hold. He glanced at Jake. "I'll take care of this."

"Maybe you could let him know who the enemy is," Jake, could not help throwing a parting shot. "He can't seem to figure it out."

Jake just stood there and crossed his arms as Sherry, Leon, and Claire emerged from the hotel onto the lobby. The gathered crowd disapating upon their arrival. Chris shoved a red-faced Devon inside in front of him with a quick, "Be right back!" thrown their way.

Leon lifted an eyebrow at Jake who shrugged. "Guess the puppy needs training."