Chapter 3: Cold

Chapter 3: Cold

A/N: Hey guys! Oh look, it's finally an update! Whooo! XD Anyway, I'm super sorry you had to wait so long. I tried to make it a little longer in response. Please enjoy!

Shizuo stared in shock at the brunet's words. It took him a long moment to process what he'd said and its implications. 'Izaya... he's... back to normal?' he thought to himself, unsure of how to react to the situation.

Izaya, on the other hand, reveled in the disturbed expression on the blond's face. Tauntingly, he adds on, "What? Don't tell me you've regressed enough that you've forgotten how to speak? My, you just become more beastly by the day, don't you? It's a wonder how anyone can stay around you, let alone allow you in a sensitive place like a hospital!"

The Heiwajima's jaw tightened a bit, instincts causing his temper to flare up at the other's merciless teasing. However, unlike any other time, he couldn't bring himself to respond in kind. Nor could he react with violence. He'd gotten too used to trying to protect Izaya, to the point that years of anger were repressed. Instead, he takes a breath. "...How are you feeling?"
The question gave Orihara pause. 'Since when has Shizuo of all people cared about my well-being? Is this some attempt to trick me? ...No, he's far too stupid for that. Perhaps it's his way of mimicking human emotions? That's a far more likely idea... but why with me? We can't stand each other.' he mused. After another moment, a thought occurred. A smirk tilted his lips once more.

"How odd of you, Shizu-chan, to care about my well-being. Though, I suppose that's what happens when you spend enough time around a person, taking care of them. In that case, I guess I'll give you an answer. Minus a massive headache, aching ribs, and some cuts, I'm feeling just chipper." Izaya replied, fake pep in his tone.

Shizuo nodded. "That's... That's good." he replied lamely. An awkward, on his side at least, silence descended between them. The room's occupant smiled blankly, taking notice of the other's discomfort and enjoying not doing a thing to alleviate it.

The enforcer was saved by the entry of Dr. Ayasegawa. She blinked in surprise when she noticed her patient had awoken. "Orihara-san. I'm glad to see you've finally woken up." she stated, smiling softly. Gray orbs glanced at the Heiwajima curiously, Hitomi wondering why he had not alerted her or nurse to the change in his charge's status.

Maroon eyes met gentle gray, humming softly. "I remember you. You were the doctor from before, weren't you? Back when I had lost my memory..." he stated as he examined her. Her brows furrowed a bit at his words, though she answered his question with a nod.

"Dr. Hitomi Ayasegawa. Am I to understand that you have remembered your true self, Orihara-san?" she inquired softly. Before Izaya could respond, the third member of the room responded for him.

"He has. Acted the same as before the second his eyes opened." he said, body clearly tensed. The bed's occupant chuckled.

"You seem rather disappointed by that, Shizu-chan. What, are you upset you don't have a little pet anymore?" he mocked, a vindictive smile curling his lips. All he received in response was silence.

The woman in the room frowned as she watched the two interact, noting the tension and animosity in the air between the males. For the time being, she shook off the feeling before moving closer to her patient. "Alright. Well, now that you've woken up, I'm going to check your vitals and injuries. It shouldn't take too long." she told the man. She then turned to Shizuo. "Heiwajima-san, why don't you and grab a coffee or something? You look like you need it." she told, clear concern in her voice.

The blond met her eyes momentarily. "Fine." he retorted shortly. He stood and strode towards the door, opening and shutting it behind him. He slowly made his way down the hall, lost in thought.