Chapter 2: Return

Chapter 2: Return

A/N: Hey guys! Finally, Chapter 2 is out. Thank you for all your patience. Chapter 3 is in the works! Until then, please enjoy!

-SM75

Once again, the sound of a steady beating monitor echoed through Shizuo's head. The regular beeps both irritated and reassured him, reminding him that he'd made it in time while taunting him about his failure. Brooding eyes landed on the crisp, white hospital sheets under which Izaya's form was huddled. He was alive, but not without damage. The state of his body had lead to the brunet to remain unconscious for days, the brain trying to recuperate and allow the rest of its owner to heal.

Shizuo couldn't bring himself to fully enjoy the fact that he'd saved Izaya. All he could focus on was how he'd screwed up. For two months, he had wildly searched for his charge. He looked high and low, near and far, night after night to try and retrieve him. Despite his best efforts, he hadn't been able to prevent the brunet's trauma. He may have saved him from death, but at what cost? He'd known rather well how bad off the Orihara had been following his first abduction: barely being able to handle touch, eyes constantly flitting about in fear, nightmares plaguing every moment of sleep, memory hiding itself beneath layers of unconsciousness to allow the man to keep from breaking down, tears sliding down his face as he slept, and breakdowns when the memories occasionally broke through the surface, sending him spiralling out of control.

But, now that he'd been put through another round, how would he be now? Would he completely lose his sanity? Would his mind hide itself again, destroying Izaya's sense of self once more? What if he now couldn't stomach even Shizuo's touch, squirming away and screaming if their skin so much as brushed against one another? These thoughts and questions whirled around in the blond's mind, taking over and pushing out everything else until guilt ate at his soul.

His salvation came in the form of a gentle, yet firm knock on the door. He snapped out of his thoughts, looking about to regain his bearings before he gave permission for the person to enter. He felt himself relax a bit at the sight of Dr. Ayasegawa, the vision of her slim form somewhat of a balm to his suffering.

The woman turned to the man with a small smile. "Hello Heiwajima-san. How are you doing?" Her steel-colored eyes carefully looked him over, taking in the signs of insomnia, stress, and anxiety that left marks on his downtrodden face.

A shrug was her answer before brown eyes returned to the still figure on the bed. Voice a bit raspy from lack of use and water, he asked quietly, "How is he? Is... Is he going to recover?"

The sound of a wearisome sigh exited her lips. "Come in my office. We'll talk there." She opened the door and let out the silent man, following behind him with her measured steps. Once the transition had been made, she sat behind her desk. Her body instinctively leaned back as if she didn't have the energy to support her own weight. Shizuo tensed in response, taking her demeanor as a sign of bad news.

Another sigh slipped from her mouth. "Heiwajima-san... I don't know what to tell you. Physically, we have treated everything we can: the burn marks, the scars, the dehydration, the internal and external bleeding, and broken ribs. Luckily his arm wasn't damaged again, so that didn't need to be re-casted. But... despite all of that, he still hasn't woken up. At this rate, I'm considering the idea that the reason for his unconscious state has more to do with psychological trauma than physical. Not that I'm completely surprised. That was already a concern the first time he came here. I have a feeling that the re-exposure to his tormentors has caused more damage than can be fixed anytime soon."

"But... he'll wake up eventually, won't he?" the 24-year-old asked, an edge of apprehension in his voice. The young woman slowly nodded.

"Eventually yes. Maybe even soon. However, there's no telling what his mind has done in order to protect itself, Heiwajima-san. The first time, he disassociated to the point of losing his core personality and developing a new one. He repressed memories of the event, which only appeared when asleep or if he was triggered. This time... his mind may even delete anything related to what happened... including memories of you." She paused before adding on. "The prognosis isn't something I can definitively, or even uncertainly, give you. Only time can tell us what will happen. Until then... you must start taking care of yourself. You won't be of any use to Orihara-san if you run yourself ragged with worry. Why don't you go grab something to eat and then get some rest?"

Shizuo wanted to respond negatively, but he knew she was right. A sigh of his own was released into the air before he nodded. "Alright Doc, I'll listen. But I'm not leaving the hospital. I'll grab something in the cafeteria, then rest in Izaya's room."

A small laugh echoed into the room, Hitomi's eyes alight with some amusement. "I already figured that would be your answer. I'll have a blanket and pillow sent there so you can have some level of comfort for your rest. Enjoy your meal." she replied.

The enforcer nodded and gave her a small thanks, leaving afterwards to make his way to the cafeteria.