-40-

I had managed to get home last night and changed into a black top, black hoodie, black skinny jeans... you could say I was less the festive this year.

I yawned and opened my eyes and looked towards my girl still asleep.

"Merry Christmas Baby." I set a kiss to her cheek and held the other with my hand being careful of the wires and tubes she was hooked up to.

It was roughly 10:30 now, i had been away for a little bit before the door opened and in poured Kat's family and my own. Anna had rushed over to me and wrapped her arms around my torso as my Mum walked over to me.

"Merry Christmas honey." She wrapped one arm around my shoulders and kissed my cheek as Anna was still attached to my body.

Everyone was sat around, Mr & Mrs Chapman, Jim, Tanya, Sam, Nicola and John all the opposite side to Jack, Anna, Mum, Dad, Eve and I. I felt incredibly awkward as I just helplessly looked at Kat.

"The kids are at their other grandparents houses...." Sam spoke and then the chit chat began.

I started to fall asleep when I swear I felt Kat's hand gently squeeze mine. I shook my head and sat up a little, It was just my brain... tricking me for something i've been wishing for.

"Conor?" I looked up at everyone staring at me.

"Presents honey." Mum smiled at me and I pulled out two from beside me. Jack and Mum.

"I guess these are from Kat and I.... she left me a list so..." I handed Jack his and Mum hers.

Jack had a a new jacket and shirt along with a reservation at this restaurant I had cut the list and left the parts where Kat made sure it was Eve. Jack chuckled a little and handed it to Eve to read.

"Subtle hint." I smiled small as she stood up and pulled me in for a cuddle and I looked towards Mum who was tearing up.

"She's just..." She looked towards Kat's parents with a smile on her lips.

"She's a credit to you." I furrowed my eyebrows as I sat back down and Mum held up the necklace I picked up.

"The first time Katherine came to stay with us, we went shopping and I spotted this in the window and it reminded me of the necklace you boys bought me when you were kids. I had lost it when we went on that holiday before Anna was born and I told Katherine all about it but I just couldn't afford it at the time, not with Anna starting school and Jack just finishing..." She wiped her eyes and shook her head. Everyone was tearing up as Dad placed the necklace on my mum.

I had handed Anna and Dad's gifts to them and Dad sent me a wink and a smile before I turned to Anna.

"Kat told me that you had a boyfriend and to not go mental, If he makes you happy..." I choked up a little and Anna smiled at me with tears streaming down her cheeks as she looked at he white lace skater dress on her lap with her necklace and bracelet.

"It's Noah McDonald...Kat helped me out a bit with the first date a while ago when you came down. She told me she would sort you boys out so I didn't have to worry." A giggle came through her crying and Jack shook his head with a smile.

"Eve..." She shook her head with a smile.

"I'll get mine later." Her french accent filled the room as I handed her present over to her and I saw the two last presents labelled Jack & Mum and Anna. I handed them out and as they opened everyone laughed. I turned to Kat with a small smile.

"You got them laughing, well done babe." I whispered and kissed her hand as I swear I felt a squeeze, ever so light. My head shot to her face as my face drained slightly in shock.

"Conor... Conor what's wrong?" Jim shot out and I shook my head and looked at him wide eyed as Tanya slowly left the room, leaving Jim and John with me.

"Conor, you gotta talk." I shook my head again and turned back to the doors.

"I thought... I thought I....Send everyone back in." John opened the door again and they all piled In and I kissed Kat's cheek as I pulled my chair closet to her bed.

As everyone was talking and laughing over that photos Kat had done, Mum and Jack had a massive photo of Jack to put up which made me smile and Anna had a goofy one of herself and Kat. I was quietly singing to Kat.

"I don't want a lot for Christmas, There is just one thing I need, I don't care about the presents, Underneath the Christmas tree, I just want you for my own, More than you could ever know, Make my wish come true oh, All I want for Christmas is you, I don't want a lot for Christmas, There is just one thing I need, and I don't care about the presents, Underneath the Christmas tree, I don't need to hang my stocking, There upon the fireplace, Santa Claus won't make me happy-" I heard a noise from somewhere in the room, making me sigh as everyone was still talk away. This was hopeless.

"I want you too..." My head shot up and looked at Kat. I felt a squeeze of my hand and her eyes blinking up at me. My heart stopped as I looked at the girl who I hadn't left in three months. I couldn't believe it everyone was talking and Kat smiled weakly up at me.

"Hey.... baby..." Her voice was weak and croaky but just hearing it made tears fall down my cheeks as a genuine smile came on my face again. I cupped her face and kissed her dry and chapped lips, trying to be careful as anything.

"Conor..." I turned around and smiled at them all and wiped my face with a chuckle before moving out the way and gripping hold of Kat's hand as everyone looked at her. Disbelief was etched on all of their faces as Anna jumped up and cuddled Kat the best she could while crying.

Jack had stuck his head out the door as everyone said something to Kat and called for the nurse. It all happened so fast, next minute everyone was out of the room apart from me. I was glued in my seat, staring at my girlfriend who was getting checked out by the nurse. Her wires and tubes were all slowly taken off of her before she was handed a drink and a small tray of food.

"How are you feeling?" The nurse, Sandra, she was the one who was looking after Kat the whole time we were here.

"Okay, I ache all over." Her voice was still croaky and dry even after the water she had been slowly sipping but it was like music to my ears.

"That's normal. Katherine, When you came in..." Sandra trailed out and Kat nodded. A defeated and heartbroken look came across her face. I squeezed her hand, letting her know that I had already found out.

"We tried everything but it was too late." Kat nodded before looking at me with tears falling from her eyes. I shook my head and stood up to wipe them away.

"Hey, no crying. We'll try again." I smiled small and she shook her head with a wince but looked at the ceiling.

"Kat... I promise you, we'll try again. I'll be there to keep you safe, let me just help you get better before we do." She looked back at me and tears were still falling. I smiled and wiped her cheeks with my thumbs.

"You know, this one hasn't left your side since you came in." Sandra spoke as she looked at me with a smirk as she wrote down on Kat's observation board. I blushed as Kat gripped my hand weakly and she smiled at me.

"You're way too good to me Maynard." I smiled and I kissed her again, savouring ever second of the moment that I had waited for, for three long months. I rested my forehead against hers and smiled as I closed my eyes and breathed in deeply.

"Never leave me again Chapman, I don't think I'd be able to handle that again." My voice cracked as her hand cupped my cheek and stroked.

"Or what?" I heard the smirk evident in her voice, making me chuckle at her. At least my Kat hadn't lost her sense to humor.