Chapter 41 - "The walls have ears."

Beck's eyebrows shot up in surprise. He didn't say anything, his blue eyes still locked on her. Elliot rushed to the fill the silence she could feel descending.

"I know it's kind of last minute and all, and a plane flight would be expensive but I could pay for that. I...just...I don't know...thought I would ask."

Beck's mouth quirked into an amused grin.

"You sure this isn't just something that you're blurting out because I have one of those faces?" he asked.

"No, I want you to come. It would be quite an experience meeting the other half of the family. Honestly, you would get enough material on crazy family dynamics to last you a life time." She shifted, gripping the strap of her purse. "So what do you say you want to be my plus one to my sister's wedding?"

At the second request, Beck's face fell and he took a step back, glancing at the ground. Elliot felt her stomach plummet. Beck looked back at her, rubbing the back of his neck.

"El, I don't think that is such a good idea," he said.

She nodded and retreated a step as well. An ache she hadn't expected filled her chest.

"Because you don't know if you can handle the craziness of my family? I get that," she said, giving him a forced smile.

"No, I just think that for the rest of the book we should keep things professional."

Elliot stared at him with a puzzled, mocking expression.

"Professional," she said.

He nodded.

"Yeah, cause we've kept this so professional before," she said. "Thanks for all the free therapy by the way. Oh, and my mom wants you over for dinner when we get back."

Beck gave a wry chuckle and rubbed his neck again, looking at the ground.

"I know we haven't kept it strictly professional," he said. He met her gaze. "I just think between us...our relationship...we should keep things professional."

Elliot took another step back and slid her hands into her pockets. She nodded in understanding, but felt lost.

"Yeah," she said. "I totally get that. Makes sense. Umm...well if you change your mind I already told Michelle I was bringing a plus one. That way I would have a second meal to eat if the chicken turned out too dry."

Beck gave her a funny look.

"What did you plan to do when people asked where he was?"

Elliot made a face. "Umm...bathroom with really bad diarrhea?"

Beck started laughing, but that only seemed to make the hurt in Elliot's chest grow. He looked at her, a wide grin on his face. A look she wasn't able to return.

"Do you ever say anything normal?" he asked.

"Once," she said. "I think it was a Monday. Not a great day."

"I can only imagine."

Elliot nodded and in the quiet an uncertainty draped over them. Beck pointed to the door, the grin slipping away.

"You want to go to the cafe?" he asked.

She backed away from the door and pointed over her shoulder.

"Actually, I remembered I wanted to add something to my latest chapter before I forget it."

Beck nodded and moved into the open door way.

"Okay, well I'll see you tomorrow, then," he said.

He went to leave but turned back at Elliot's voice.