Chapter 10

Now

“Camila?” A soft voice speaks up from in front of me. I look up and my heart jumps into my throat when I see Lucy standing there. I didn't think i'd be ambushed on my way to the library.

“Hey…” I hesitantly say in greeting, glancing around to see if Lauren was nearby. That seems to be a pattern these days. The last couple of weeks they've been attached at the hip. Whenever I dare to leave my room, I'm unlucky enough to spot them nearby.

Going to get coffee? Lauren and Lucy are sitting out in on the grass, laughing.

Heading to Dinah's and Ally’s apartment? Oh, Lauren and Lucy are leaving one of the buildings at the same time.

My heart is ripped from my chest every single time I see them. Every time I can see Lauren's eyes shining from when I stand. Knowing that someone else is making her happy.

But Lauren asked me to give her some space, and all I want is for her to be happy, so I oblige and suffer in silence.

Except, right now Lucy is alone.

And speaking.

“I was wondering if I could talk to you for a moment?”

I have a feeling I know what this is about… but still I find myself nodding my head and suggesting we sit at a bench off to the side.

Lucy releases a deep breath, “I think it's time you let Lauren go.”

Well. Okay, I didn't think she'd be so blunt.

I furrow my brows at her and she continues.

“You hurt her, okay? So fucking much and right when she finally started to… Function again, you come back and expect her to just forget about what you put her through.”

“Woah hold on, first of all you have no idea what you're talking about, okay? I never once said I expected her to just forget it, I never once acted like what I did was okay. I get that you're her friend, but you only have half a story and you don't get to-”

“No, Camila. You fucked up. Bad. And I won't let you mess her up again. I've always told her she was too good for you, and she never listened. Look at how that ended up. Just-just let her go and let her live her life. It's what she wants, she's just too nice of a person to say it to your face. Just accept that you're a bad person and stop holding Lauren back. She wants you out of her life.” Lucy stares deep into my eyes as she says this, probably wanting to see my soul breaking for herself.

I stutter out, “I'm not a bad person… Lauren would never say-”

“Maybe not to your face, but she definitely says it to me. It's getting pathetic, every time her phone lights up with your name, you should see the pity in her eyes. She doesn't love you anymore. You're just annoying her.”

“And what, she loves you now?” I angrily shoot out. Her last words hitting me too close to home.

Lucy nods her head calmly, my tone not even making her flinch. “She loves me a lot more than she loves you right now, that's for sure.”

I just stare at her, trying to clear my head enough to say something of substance back, but all I can think about is the phrase ‘she doesn't love you anymore’ repeating over and over again. I feel Lucy standing up, obviously feeling like her job is done. But still, she feels the need to drive her point home.

“Just do us all a favor, and let her go.”

She leaves me sitting there alone, my hand clutching at my aching heart, trying to figure what's real and what isn't.