🖤 Chapter 26 🖤

♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧

♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧

"James!" I exclaim in a whisper. "Oh, I'm so happy to see you!" I quickly sit up on the bed as he sits next to me. We hug for a brief moment until he pulls away.

"How are you feeling, really?" he asks.

"It hurts," I say, going back into a lying position and rubbing my hand across my abdomen. "But I'll live...thanks to you." I smile up at him and he smiles back. "James, I know it must be hard. Having to bring me where a lot of people are going to see me..."

"You were dying, and I couldn't think of anything else to do."

"Well, I'm glad you did." I take his left hand in both of mine and squeeze, and he gives me a faint smile.

"Don't think too much of it," he informs. "You know something goes wrong every time I take you out. That's why I'm taking you back home immediately after you've healed properly."

What?! Is he serious? What about my family? If he takes me away again, I'll never see them again. My throat runs dry and my stomach tightens. The pain in my abdomen comes back as my breathing quickens.

"Hey, hey, hey, calm down. There's no need to hyperventilate," he says, lifting his right hand and tracing a finger along my left cheek, smirking. "You belong to me, remember? No one else."

I swallow hard and nod in compliance. He leans in and kisses me, his tongue invading the entirety of my mouth. I slowly raise my hands to either side of his face and pull him in closer. His kiss makes me feel warm inside and I melt away in his embrace. I don't feel the pain in my abdomen anymore, and all thoughts of never seeing my family again leave my mind. I give away the fact that I am enjoying the kiss with a little moan, and James breaks the kiss, smirking as he gets up from the bed.

"You know, you still have to be punished...." As if lying in a hospital bed isn't punishment enough... "...and I can think of one way to do that." His wicked smile sends a chill down my spine. "But it's going to have to wait until these next two weeks are up." I groan in frustration as he laughs at me. He collects his clipboard and places another kiss on my lips before miraculously fitting the mask back on his face, and moseying over to the door. "I'll see you in the morning, Miss Smith." And then he leaves.

"I'll see you in the morning Dr. Philips," I mumble to myself while smiling.

About 10 seconds after James leaves, a male nurse enters the room. He looks about my age. His bushy, curly, blond hair on his head; his firm jawline; his musculature (which I can see since he has on a short-sleeved scrub-shirt); and his ocean blue eyes are all just beautiful to look at.

He is carrying a tray with a plate, a cup and some eating utensils. "Good evening," he says with a smile, approaching the bed. "I'm Mark, your caregiver. I'll be helping you until you get better."

"Hi! I'm Erica, and I thought Dr. Philips was going to look after me."

"He's a doctor, not a nurse. He has other duties and responsibilities," he says, chuckling. He must have recognized the pout on my face because he goes on to say, "Hey, don't feel bad. At least you'll have me to keep you company. Not all the time, though." He slides out the little tray-table attached to the bed and rests the tray on it. In the plate, there's some French toast and cut-up sausages.

The sausages cause me to laugh a little at the memory of James offering me to... well, let's not go there, now.

"Okay, I think that would be nice. I don't really get to meet and hang out with a lot of people," I say.

"Really? What's a beautiful girl like you not doing socializing?"

I could feel the blood rush to my head, my cheeks looking flush as I blush. "It's...it's nothing you should bother yourself with, really."

"Oh, come on, it can't be all that bad," he says, sitting in the chair on the left of my bed. You don't know the half of it. "Tell you what...I'll tell you my story if you tell me yours."

I think for a brief moment. Maybe he's right. I should get to socialize with people around here while I have the chance. Besides, James can't kill them here, can he? Of course not. And I could really use the company, and Mark seems kind of sweet.

Okay, let's talk." I pick up the bread in front of me and begin to eat, and then I start the conversation. "I have a husband that doesn't want me to get out much, and that is part of the reason I'm here."

"Whoa...really possessive, isn't he?"

"Yeah," I reply. "But he really is a good man, and he means well."

The conversation goes on for a while, but I don't tell him much about me, especially not about the fact that James kidnapped me, and that he's a serial killer. Mark talks about his parents wanting him to go to Harvard to study medicine, but he told them he wasn't ready. That's why he's working at the hospital for the time being. He doesn't have a girlfriend (which is sad, because any girl would like to snatch up such a handsome fellow), and he loves to sing. I think that's cute. He even offers to sing for me sometimes, and after a few moments of protesting, I finally gave in and accepted.

Eventually, Mark has to leave, and he takes the tray with him after cleaning up. "See you in the morning," he says, opening the door. I nod as he closes it.

It feels so good to know someone new. Someone that isn't related to James or works for him. I fall asleep thinking about my conversation with Mark, but end up dreaming about James and me engaging in...

♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧♧

If you enjoyed this chapter, please leave a vote.

-----

I only have a few Shoutouts left, but if you want to be shouted out just leave a comment here. I'd happily do it in the next update! 😊

Here we go!

slayinnnn

KellyAnneBlount

BrittNLeigh

Your support is much appreciated! 💜

-----

Extra Note:
Questions for James? Head on back to Chapter 24 and let them all out!

Questions for the author? Leave 'em right here in the comment section!

MARDAIS