Chapter 36

(Luke's POV) 

It had been 24 hours since they had landed in Brisbane and their first show of the tour was set to take place tonight. There had been no news on Gemma; apparently she had been spotted in the southern suburbs at a local shop buying a drink. She was supposed to have started her internship today; she wouldn't have missed that if she was okay... There was definitely something wrong. Someone was holding her against her will; Luke could feel it in his bones.

"You okay, man?" Calum asked, wrapping his arm around Luke's shoulder and giving him a gentle squeeze. "I know it must be tough, I'm sure she'll come home soon" 

"No, Cal. It was her first day at her internship today and if she hasn't turned up for that then something's definitely wrong... This is all my fault. Gemma's out there somewhere and I'm here at the other side of the country." 

"Stop blaming yourself, Luke!"

"You don't get it. It is my fault! If I hadn't gone to Danielle's that night-"

"You went to Danielle's? Why?" 

"Because I'm stupid!" he sighed, resting his head against the arm of the chair and fighting back the tears. That's all he seemed to do lately, cry and sleep. He couldn't concentrate on anything; the guys had attempted to take his mind off things by taking him out for breakfast and keeping him busy with band practice but nothing seemed to work. The guys would be playing and Luke would miss his part out or play the wrong chord; it was useless. 

"Come on, Luke! You have to get your head in the game for tonight! This is the biggest crowd we've ever played to!" Michael said, flicking him on the forehead. Luke wasn't in the mood to deal with his attempts at cheering him up; he wasn't in the mood for anything. 

"Oh and how would you feel if it was Kiara that was missing?" 

"I'm not saying you should be okay about it... I'm just saying act like you are.. just for the hour that we're on stage!" 

"Fuck off" Luke stood up out of the chair and made his way outside of the venue, breathing in the fresh air and looking up at the sky, Gemma was underneath the same one; somewhere... He just wanted to know whether she was okay. Luke found himself talking up to her mum; he had never done anything like this before and he had never really believed in it, but surely she was up there somewhere keeping an eye out for Gemma.

"Just make sure she is safe... I don't care if she never wants to speak to me ever again just as long as she is okay" his voice sounded off into the distance, filling up the emptiness of the car park. 

Somehow Luke had managed to hold it together through the show; he had remembered all of the words and forced a smile on his face for the fans. It was the longest hour of his life; each time Luke looked out into the crowd he could have sworn he saw Gemma's face staring back at him but he knew it was just his mind playing tricks. The boys had congratulated him afterwards but he didn't hang around for long, he just wanted to be back at the hotel and sleep. He was hoping tomorrow would bring some good news. He sat out on the balcony and glanced out at the Brisbane skyline lit up in the night sky; it was so beautiful. He imagined Gemma being sat with him, a huge smile on her face as she appreciated the view as much as he did. He loved the way she found beauty in anything; how she truly enjoyed the sights of the world. Luke went to grab a pen and paper, he found himself writing down some lyrics... 

'Torn in two, and I know I shouldn't tell you but I just can't stop thinking of you. Wherever you are. Every night I almost call you, just to say it always will be you. Wherever you are'