Chapter 23

"What have you done?" Luke's face was filled with fear, he hadn't taken his eyes off Gemma. She didn't know how to tell him; how could she explain that she had tried to make him jealous by going on a date with a complete idiot and he had assualted her. She had been stupid enough to get back on the motorbike with a drunken arsehole and allow him to drive her away into the dark of the night. 

"Gem... Tell me" he ordered, panic in his tone. 

Gemma took a deep breath; he had been completely honest with her and now it was her turn. She started from the very beginning, explaining how Oliver had been with her at the radio station and how he was desperate for a date. She explained that once she had seen the pictures of that girl in Luke's boxers she had been so angry and upset that she had agreed to go out with him. She told Luke how he took her to a biker's bar, they drank way more than they should have and then she allowed him to drive her home, but he hadn't stopped near her house. She explained that he took her to a derelict car park and how he had forced himself on her, she had tried to fight him off and he had got angry with her, smacking her across the face and knocking her to the ground. When she had finished she cast her eyes up towards Luke, who was staring at the ground; his fists clenched and his teeth gritted. 

"Luke?" Gemma asked, trying to snap him back to reality. His blue eyes stared up at her; they were filled with anger and she was seriously regretting telling him. 

"He fucking hit you" Luke stated, taking a deep breath in an attempt to calm himself down. "He fucking hit you" 

"I've learned from my mistake now though, Luke. I won't be going near him again..." she said, scooching closer to him on the couch and placing her hand on to his arm. He softened his expression at her touch, reaching out and pulling her into his arms. He stroked his hand through her hair and stared down at her lip, shaking his head in disbelief.

"How could anyone hurt you?"

"I punched him first" Gemma let out a slight laugh, trying to lighten the situation. 

"Good. I hope it fucking hurt him" 

"Can we just forget about it now? I just want to spend some time with you before you go back..." 

"That sounds good"

Luke didn't bring it up again for the whole of the afternoon, he held her and provided her with every bit of comfort she had been missing. They didn't even put a film on, they lay in the silence and was just happy to be together again. Gemma nuzzled her face into his chest, breathing in the scent of his aftershave and running her fingers up and down his forearm, appreciating the soft touch of his skin.

"I really missed you, Gem" he spoke quietly, pushing at her forehead with his nose so that she would look up at him.

"I missed you too, except when I was mad at you" she laughed.

"Well, seeing as though you was mad at me for no good reason I think you owe me..."

"Owe you what exactly?" 

"A date" Luke's eyes averted from her gaze as these words left his mouth; he never had any confidence in himself. Gemma's heart was fluttering, she had waited for this moment for so long and it was great that now there was nothing holding them back. They could be together. 

"Nah, I'd rather eat broken glass" she teased, unable to stop herself from smiling. 

"Well, we can include some broken glass consuming in to our date if you like? Best of both worlds" Luke played along, his lips curling up into a smile. 

"Then I'm in" Gemma giggled, extremely grateful to have him around. 

Gemma knew Luke would have to fly back out tomorrow and it would be another two weeks until she got to see him so she wanted to make the most of every moment she got to spend with him. Luke decided he wanted to take her to the zoo for their date; they spent the whole way there bickering over whether penguins or giraffes were better. Once they arrived he dragged her across to the ice cream truck and bought them both a giant vanilla ice cream cone, but before he handed hers across he wrapped his lips around the top of her ice cream and took a huge chunk of it.