Chapter 10

"Morning Gem! Michael's gonna drive us to college today, he can't be bothered to walk it!" Kiara said, strolling back to the car with Gemma beside her. As she climbed into the back she realised Luke was already in the car; he avoided any kind of eye contact with her and they remained silent throughout the journey. 

"You guys are quiet back there, you're not making out are you?" Michael teased, making eye contact with Gemma through the mirror. She scowled back at him and shook her head, hoping he would get the hint that it was a touchy subject. 

"He's only teasing, ignore him guys!" Kiara interrupted, offering a smile in Gemma's direction. "When's Dani back, Luke?"

Oh, the first mention of his girlfriend's name for the first time. How had this not come up before? Maybe it had but she had chosen to ignore it? It didn't matter now anyway; she had to stop thinking about Luke. 

"She gets back today, so she'll probably be coming over to Ashton's tonight" Luke mumbled, not sounding too pleased at the idea. Okay, so Gemma definitely wasn't going out tonight. Her spare time would consist of reading a book and listening to Alex and Daniel bicker over the xbox; yay how fun. 

The rest of the day went by in a blur; through their music lesson Gemma and Luke tried their very best to be civil with one another and it was strange but it turned out she followed his instructions much easier when she was mad at him. At dinner Michael and Kiara had gone off on their own to celebrate their 3 month anniversary so Gemma found herself eating lunch with Calum, Ashton and Luke. 

"We've had loads of people requesting Next to you by Chris Brown and Justin Bieber, so I was thinking we could practice that one tonight? What do you guys think?" Ashton spoke up, interrupting the silence. For some reason, Calum had been avoiding direct eye contact with her too and she was starting to wonder whether Luke had mentioned something to him. 

"Yeah, I like that song" Luke replied, still scrolling through his phone. 

"I'm up for that" Calum added. 

"What about you camera girl?" Ashton asked, giving her a gentle slap on the thigh. Gemma nodded her head in agreement, even though she knew she wasn't going to be there tonight. Luke's eyes flickered up towards her, before she had the chance to look away she ended up making eye contact and they became locked in each other's gaze. He had such a hold on her and the harder she tried to resist, the worse it got. He was looking incredibly breathtaking today; his blonde hair ruffled and spiked up; his red plaid shirt unbuttoned down to his chest and his tight jeans leaving little to the imagination. Fuck.

"You are coming tonight? Right?" Ashton quizzed her. 

"I dunno yet..." 

"Aww come on, Gem! It's much more fun with you around" Calum said, giving her a cute little puppy dog look. She couldn't face seeing Luke and his girlfriend together; it would most definitely tear her apart. Yet, she didn't want to let the guys down... The truth was, she enjoyed spending time with them and because of that she finally agreed to meet up with them tonight. 

Even though Kiara had mentioned calling round for her just after 5; Ashton turned up. Gemma knew the reason for this was to make sure she definitely showed up, but it was sweet nontheless. 

"Thought you might try and wiggle out of tonight, decided to come and collect you myself" Ashton winked, turning on the radio and winding down the windows. He set off back to his; the two of them spending most of the car journey discussing music and teasing one another on their song choices. "Do you have a spice girls CD lying about in your car?" Gemma asked, smirking across at Ashton. He pushed his sunglasses on top of his head and narrowed his eyes, "Do I look like the kind of guy that has a spice girls CD in my car?"

"Obviously... or I wouldn't have asked" 

He picked up a dirty cloth from next to his seat and flung it into her face; causing her to fall into a fit of giggles. Before long Ashton was laughing too, people must have thought they were crazy. In a random twist of fate an old Spice Girls song actually came onto one of the radio stations and after Gemma had managed to fight Ashton off; he gave up and allowed it to stay on. They pulled up to his house with 'Two become one' blasting out of the car; Gemma had a huge grin on her face and Ashton was pretending to shoot himself in the head. 

"Shut up you love it really!" she teased, switching off the radio and climbing out the car. Ashton followed after her and the two of them walked inside; Calum was playing on the Xbox and shouting obsceneties at the tv screen and there in the corner was Luke, with a skinny, blonde girl wrapped around his neck. It was disgusting. It was even more disgusting at the fact that this girl was absolutely stunning and looked like she'd just walked off the Victoria Secrets Runway. Bitch. 

"Oh hey, you must be Gemma?" she waltzed over, revealing her perfectly toned stomach. Gemma wanted to throw up; this was worse than she ever could have imagined. How was she going to make it through this night? "I'm Danielle! The guys have told me all about you! I'm Luke's girlfriend, by the way. Just got back from Los Angeles, my dad had a meeting with one of the hit radio stations over there. It was amazing! The people are so kind and the shops-"

It was at this point that Gemma decided to zone out; this girl could talk and she didn't want to hear a word she said. Her eyes flickered over Danielle's shoulder towards Luke; he was staring back at her with an anxious look on his face. 

"So what do you think?" Gemma managed to catch the last question of Danielle's life story. Oh god, she hadn't a clue what she was asking her. Fuck, fuck, fuck. What if she said yes and it was something really bad? Or what if she said no and ended up looking like an idiot? 

"We were actually on about that the other day, Gemma thought it was a great idea for us to hire a studio and make a professional CD. Didn't you, Gem?"

Oh thank, God! Ashton to the rescue! She gave him a gracious smile and nodded in Danielle's direction; she seemed pleased enough with her reply and returned to Luke, where she immediately threw herself onto his lap. 

"You weren't listening where you?" Ashton whispered, giving her a slight nudge.

"Not my kind of conversation... Shopping... Money. No thanks" she replied, making sure to keep her voice down. He pulled her into a one armed hug and smiled down at her; when he planted a soft kiss on the top of her head Gemma noticed Luke watching them from across the room. Danielle was chatting away to him and yet his eyes didn't leave her and Ashton. Gemma couldn't help but think that maybe, Luke Hemmings was slightly jealous...