Chapter 34

(Luke's POV) 

"I still can't believe I've been sneaking in through your window for almost a week and nobody has noticed!" Luke beamed, feeling proud with himself. He was lay on the bed watching Gemma try on some dresses; she had an induction at her new placement tomorrow morning. She had looked beautiful in every single outfit but she wasn't happy; he hated the fact that she had no confidence in herself. 

"Don't jinx it you doofus" 

"Doofus? Really?" 

"Yes. Doofus. Now help me! Which one should I wear?" Gemma turned towards him holding up a white lace dress and a blue bodycon dress. They were both incredibly hot; too hot for her to be wearing to an induction... He couldn't have other people looking at her the way he looked at her, it would drive him insane. 

"Neither" he shrugged.

"What? Why?" Gemma glanced down at both dresses, confused by his answer. Luke was frightened; he didn't want to admit it to her but he was terrified Gemma was going to go her separate way once he left to go on tour. She was so beautiful and intelligent and so driven to follow her goals; how could they possibly make it work if Gemma was off making films and he was touring the world with the boys? He could just imagine her meeting some fancy artsy director who would take her to fancy OSCAR parties and treat her like a princess. 

"Come here" he pleaded, feeling overwhelmed by his own thoughts. She hung the dresses over her mirror and lay beside him, he pulled her into his arms and nestled his face into her hair. She smelled like coconut, it was comforting. 

"I want to look nice but professional and I want to show them I've made an effort but not too much of an effort. Oh god, Luke I'm so fucking nervous!" 

"You're going to be fine, babe. They're going to love you and you're going to look amazing no matter what you wear!" Luke gave her an encouraging squeeze, sliding his hand across the dip of her waist and settling on her hips. "Go for the white dress, okay?" 

"You sure?"

Luke decided that kissing her was as good an answer as any; he drove his tongue into her mouth, he had to appreciate every last part of her before he went away again. He wanted to be able to remember the way she tasted, the way she smelled, the way her skin felt underneath his fingertips. He was going to miss her so much; he wished she would come along with them. 

"What's wrong? You're extra cuddly today" 

"Just gonna miss you that's all..." 

"Baby, I'm going to miss you too" she replied, booping him on the nose and following it up with a little kiss. 

"Then come with me!" Luke knew he was repeating himself and there was only a 0.001% chance that Gemma would change her mind on this but he had to try. He couldn't bare to be away from her again; not after last time. What if somebody hurt her again? What if he wasn't there to protect her?

"Luke, I don't want to go through with this again. You know I can't..." 

"But you can!" he insisted, sitting up and getting overly excited. "Gem, it would be great! You can finally see the rest of Australia, we can go and do touristy stuff on my days off. You can be in the front row of our shows, or sit backstage or stay at the hotel... Whatever you want! I just- I can't handle being away from you for a month. Not after last time and what happened with that jackass-"

"Luke, that's not going to happen again. Okay? And I would love to do all those things with you but I have to do something for me, you understand that right?" 

Of course he understood. She was just as passionate about film and television as he was about music, deep down he knew she should follow her ambitions but he couldn't help those selfish urges taking over.