Chapter 3

"You want to go to college? That's great, Gem!" Dad beamed, patting the spot on the sofa next to him. Gemma bounced down onto the seat and smiled, "Yeah, if we're gonna stay here then I should probably start doing something with my spare time" 

"You do realise it's half way through the first term?" Auntie Rachel interrupted, joining them in the front room and placing two cups of tea in front of them. "I'm not sure they'll let you start this late, you will have missed out on so much" 

"I don't want to wait until September though, I'll go crazy just sitting around doing nothing! What if I catch up on the work?" Gemma suggested, cradling the hot cup in her hands and instantly regretting her words. 

"I'll see what I can do then, but don't let me down, Gem." Auntie Rachel smiled.

"Why? What can you do?" 

"I just so happen to know several people who work at the college, just leave it to me and I'll see what I can do"

The day passed by ever so slowly; Gemma sat out in the garden in attempt to get some colour on her pale British skin. She waited for Kiara and Oscar to come outside so that she could have some company but they never arrived; so instead she grabbed her kindle and began to read the Hunger Games. Every now and again she would nip back inside to see if her Auntie Rachel had had any luck with her college application but there was nothing so far. 

"The wait is killing me. Do my chances look good Auntie Rachel? Be honest" Gemma sighed, throwing her kindle onto the sofa and glancing up at the clock. How was it only 3.30pm? 

"Yes, you're a bright young lady and if you promise to catch up on the work then I don't see why they wouldn't let you in. I have an idea, how about I drive you over there? That way they can meet you and ask you a couple of questions"

That was possibly the worst idea she had ever heard; Gemma was the most awkward person on the face of the planet and she sucked at any form of interview. She would end up getting really nervous and either throwing up or running out of the office without so much as an apology; she definitely couldn't go to the college. No. That wouldn't work. 

"Okay" she found herself saying. WHAT WAS SHE DOING? The two of them climbed into Auntie Rachel's car and Gemma gazed out the window; taking in her surroundings and trying to get used to the area she was now calling home. The sun was shining, the trees were magnificantly green and everyone seemed so happy; it was like an alternate universe from back home. They pulled into a large car park, the college was one of the biggest buildings she had ever seen in her entire life, it was white washed with victorian style windows and there were hundreds of teenagers sat outside on the grass. Way too many people for Gemma. Maybe college wasn't such a good idea? Her heart was racing as she followed her Auntie into the building, making sure to keep her eyes on the ground to avoid any eye contact with anyone. 

"Gemma?" came a familiar voice. She pulled her eyes up from the ground to see Kiara stood beside her with a huge smile on her face; "what are you doing here?" 

"I'm trying to get into college. Well, I'm hoping" 

"Oh that's great! How exciting!" Kiara beamed, "This is Michael!" she pulled the boy towards her, he greeted her with an awkward wave and Gemma found it endearing; turns out she already had something in common with him; they were super awkward when it came to meeting new people. 

"Hey" she replied, offering an awkward wave in return and causing Michael to smile. "Well, uhm... I gotta go." 

"Good luck, Gem! I'll call round yours tonight and you can let me know how it goes!" she called out after her as she rushed off to catch up with her Auntie. They walked into the office and Auntie Rachel immediately smiled at the sight of a sophisticated lady sat behind the desk.