4 - Dreams

You belong among the wildflowers
You belong in a boat out at sea
You belong with your love on your arm
You belong somewhere you feel free  

~

Air was rushing past his face and his eyes were watering. Lance was terrified. He didn't know what happened to him. First, he saw Keith starting to pass out from sleep deprivation, and that had scared Lance. Then next thing he knew, Lance didn't care at all. It felt as if he was riding in the backseat of his own mind. He had heard Blue roar and instantly he began to run for the edge. If he hadn't slipped, he was sure he would've just jumped right off the edge. But no, he failed the simplest of tasks and now Keith would also have to pay the price. 

He looked at Keith, who was a few feet above and to the right of him. His back faced Lance, but he knew Keith was asleep by his stillness. At least he wouldn't feel the impact. If there ever was one. 

They had been falling for quite some time, yet no landing had occurred. Lance managed to turn around to face the bottom, but there was only darkness below. Above them the light was getting thinner, so they were indeed falling, but to where, Lance didn't know. 

Suddenly, it felt as if Lance had passed through a layer of Jello and it was having some strange effects. It felt as if they were falling slower than before and the air was getting cooler. Then another passed. Then several others at a constant pace. They made Lance feel drowsy and a bit nauseous. The last and final layer was the worst one. They were finally on some surface, but not a scratch was upon them. Still, Lance felt terrible.

He threw up the remaining food in his stomach along with some stomach acid. His nose and throat burned, but he still gagged. Apparently, his stomach hadn't gotten the memo that it was empty. Once the spell ended, he coughed and it felt like nails ripping his throat open. He looked around with his teary eyes and could make out strange figures circling around them. Lance then realized he could hear their whispers.

"Nothing can make it through the last barrier awake!"

"Well, one thing can..."

"But they're gone!"

"He doesn't even look like one!"

"Unless, some escaped and... Ugh, mated." 

"Wait, he's listening!" Lance suddenly wished that he still had his bayard, but remained in Blue. They all went quiet and started to shuffle around. That's when something knocked Lance in the back of the head. He fell to the ground next to Keith and prayed nothing would happen to them. Another blow caused his vision to fade to black.

-

Rain splattered across his face. Lance stretched his arms wide to feel the rain as much as he could. He spun around, laughing as his injuries had vanished. He was in a field of forget-me-nots and red tulips. He was back at Earth, but it didn't feel complete, as if something was missing. Then again, nothing is never really perfect, so he shrugged away the feeling. 

He saw someone in the distance and smiled. At least he wasn't here alone. He marched down the small hill and sat down next to his best rival.

"What's up, Mullet?" Lance teased while propping himself up on his hands. Keith looked over and gave Lance his best bitch-face. It made Lance grin even more. "Come on, you gotta love me."

"No, not really. I just have to tolerate you," Keith retorted, looking away and into the distance at a small village. 

"So, what are you really doing here? You know, besides being emo by sitting in a field of flowers in the rain... Do I really have to continue explaining?" Keith gave single hmpf and rolled his eyes.