49 ~ "Life is really, really good right now"

I stood at the balcony of our apartment in Madrid, Spain. I held onto the railing, looking out over the streets and the people walking and conversing as they walked by. After our vacation to Italy, Chanyeol and I moved to Hong Kong for six months, then Shanghai for a year, and it was our third month in Madrid. It was the month of our fourth wedding anniversary. 

I heard the door behind me open, and I turned to see Chanyeol. "How's my wife this morning?" Chanyeol asked, wrapping his arm around my waist. 

"Muy bien," I said in Spanish and smiled. We kissed, and he pulled me closer to him. Then I got really warm and I felt sick. I pulled away, leaning over the railing. 

"Are you okay?" Chanyeol asked me. 

I shook my head, and ran inside to the bathroom, barely making it to the toilet to throw up. 

"Hey," Chanyeol said, joining me and holding my hair back. "I'm taking you to the hospital. You keep throwing up. I'm worried about you."

I shook my head. "I always feel fine after I throw up."

"It's not normal," Chanyeol said. "Let's go."

The hospital visit was rather annoying and I thought it was a waste of time. I rolled my eyes every time the doctor spoke, and Chanyeol kept looking at me for me to translate. When the doctor left the room, I looked at Chanyeol. "I'm not translating for you. He's saying everything we already know. 'Let me check this', 'Let me check that.' I don't know why he needs to check everything. Spanish food is probably just getting to me and it's time to move again."

The doctor came back in, and Chanyeol sat up. "Sabes Ingles?" Chanyeol asked him in his broken, insecure Spanish. 

The doctor cringed. "Si, un poquito." He thought for a few seconds, as if trying to find the words to say in English. "Felicidades, estas embarazada. Congratulations, you're pregnant!"

"No, wait!" I exclaimed. "I can't be pregnant. I was pregnant years ago and lost the baby. The doctor told me I could never have children again. I was unable."

"The doctor was wrong," he explained. "Because you're pregnant. Or a miracle." He shrugged. "Happens all the time."

"But...will I lose the baby? I don't think I'm able to have a child. Seriously. We can't go through that again," I said, looking at Chanyeol. There was no concern on his face. He was smiling. 

"Everything is fine," the doctor said. "No problems at all."

-8 months later-

"Should I bring in our parents now?" Chanyeol asked me as I was holding our newborn baby daughter in the hospital. 

"Yeah," I said, smiling and looking at our beautiful daughter. 

He looked at us for a moment before leaving, blinking fast. 

"Are you going to cry again?" I asked him. 

"What? No," he said defensively. He shifted his jaw. "I'm just so happy, Saehee."

"Me too. You can go get them," I said. 

He returned with my parents and his parents, and they immediately gathered around. "Meet your granddaughter, Park Haru," Chanyeol said. 

"I just think it's so wonderful how things turned out," Sooyoung said. "You once hated each other and vowed to never have kids. Then you couldn't have kids...and then you were going to divorce...and..."

"Mom," Chanyeol said, exhaling and rolling his eyes. 

"I'm just so happy." Sooyoung wiped a tear. 

Our parents finally left, and I had to spend the night in the hospital one more night with Haru. Haru was placed in a crib a few feet away from my bed, and when it was just her and me in the room, I looked over at her. She was looking at me. "Haru," I said, and she looked at me as if listening. She didn't know what I was saying, but I figured I would talk to her anyway. "I'm so thankful for you. You're here not because of a dumb contract, not because anyone told us to have you. You're here because we love you and you're honestly a miracle. I wasn't supposed to be able to have any children and I'm so glad you're here and okay." 

Haru didn't break eye contact as I spoke to her. "Your dad is really talented with music. You'll probably be playing piano in a couple of years. And I'm really smart, you'll probably be multi-lingual. But don't let us pressure you to become someone you're not." 

The door quietly opened, and it was Chanyeol. "Go home, Chanyeol," I said softly. "You haven't slept."

"I want to be here with you two," he said. "I'll just..." he walked over to a chair next to my bed. "I'll just sleep here."

"Chanyeol." I rolled my eyes. "If you're going to sleep in here, at least come sleep in this bed with me."

He smirked and I scooted over for him to join me. The way he positioned himself was towards where Haru was laying. "She is so beautiful," he whispered to me. 

"Yeah," I whispered back. 

"My mom was telling me how Haru needs a brother," Chanyeol said. 

"The doctor said that I'm okay to have more children," I said. "It can happen, but..."

"We don't need to rush," Chanyeol said. "Our lives. We can decide what we want to do."

I wrapped my arm around Chanyeol's torso and pulled him closer to me. "You teach Haru the piano and I'll teach her English."

"I'm just so happy right now," Chanyeol said. "Life is really, really good right now."

"I know," I said, and looked back over to Haru. She was sleeping.