38 ~ "I wish I told you no"

Finals week. 

The weeks were flying by. I stayed in the library a lot, studying, trying to keep away from Lucas. He really gave me space, obviously at least somewhat freaked out over the fact that I was married. 

One day, I was walking the halls, reviewing I had just memorized. I loved college so much, I loved learning and memorizing and remembering things and being tested on them. 

"Saehee!"

I froze. 

I knew the voice. It was familiar and reminded me of home. Hell, no one called me Saehee from around here. But neither did he. 

I turned around. "Kim Jongin, what are you doing in Spain?"

He smiled. "Just a business trip with my dad. Want to get dinner with me? For old time's sake." 

"Sure," I said. "I could use a study break." I looked at him. "Oh, and I go by Shae here. Which you used to call me anyway."

"I was trying to be appropriate," Jongin shrugged. We got a cab and we went to a restaurant I had been craving for weeks. 

We sat down, and I immediately noticed that he was just extra smiley. "So," he said, "how are you? How are you liking Spain?"

"I love it," I said. "But I'm going back for Christmas break in a week, after I get done with finals."

"Good," Jongin said. "There's nothing like Christmas in Korea."

"Yeah," I said. "What about you? Are you going to university?"

"I was taking a gap semester, but then I got invested with my dad's new business. It's doing really well, we're almost back to where we used to be. Financially, you know."

"That's really good," I said, nodding.

"How's Chanyeol?" Jongin asked. "It must be hard on you two to have a long distance relationship, but married."

"Yeah, it's hard. But he's doing okay."

"Are you coming back to Spain for the Spring semester?"

"That's the plan," I said. 

At the end of the meal, Jongin hesitated. "I don't know if I should say this."

I exhaled, rolling my eyes. "Just say it."

"Your Korean is getting worse."

"What?"

"I've been observing this whole time. It's sounding broken sometimes and you have this new accent. It's not the same. Does Chanyeol say anything to you about it?"

"No. What? I don't have an accent. My Korean is just fine." But on my way back to campus in the cab by myself, I couldn't help but wonder. Chanyeol was busy at night and I was busy, and we didn't have time to talk on the phone much in the past month. I texted him every day, but it wasn't the same as physical talking. 

I got into my room, and Blair was laying on her bed. "I'm dropping out," she whined. "You're so lucky to have photographic memory."

"I still have to study," I told her. I set my stuff down on my desk and ran my hand through my hair, swearing. 

"What?" Blair asked. 

"I just met up with my ex for dinner." I shook my head. "He happened to be here on business. He told me that my Korean had gotten worse."

"I've been noticing that you stopped speaking Korean," Blair said. "And you don't call Chanyeol much."

"Well, we've both been really busy," I defended myself. "I don't know. I stopped speaking Korean to focus on my Spanish." I pulled out my phone and texted Chanyeol. "Do you have time to talk for a few minutes?"

"Yes" he answered.

"Facetime?"

"Sure."

I was the one who called, and he answered. His hair was parted on the side, and he looked very formal in a suit and tie. "Chanyeol, you look so good," I said. 

"All these black tie events I have to go to," Chanyeol muttered. 

"How are classes?"

"Not so good," he said. "I have to focus on my dad's business." He smiled weakly. "I can't wait for you to come home."

I smiled. "I can't wait either."

"Is everything going okay? Usually you don't ask to call."

"Where are you?" I asked noticing that the background was dark.

"Oh the parking lot. I left the building to talk to you. I told my dad I needed some air, I wasn't feeling well. Are you doing okay?"

"Yeah," I said. "Jongin was in town. We went out for a friendly dinner. It made me miss you."

"A friendly dinner?" Chanyeol exhaled. "Don't let that get back to my parents. He was supposed to leave you alone."

"That still applies? I'm an adult now."

"Yeah, that still applies," Chanyeol said. "Oh, I finally got hired help for the house. The place was turning trashy because I can't clean. So don't worry, all is good now."

"Oh, I'm glad."

"Okay, what is going on? You're hiding something from me."

"What? No," I said. 

"Do you tell people that you're married?"

"What?"

"Answer me." Chanyeol's voice was raised. 

"Only if it comes up," I explained. 

He didn't say anything. 

"Chanyeol," I said, my voice turning persistent. "You know I love you."

"Yeah, you just don't show it sometimes."

"What?"

"Do you hear yourself, Saehee?" Chanyeol asked. "You keep slipping into Spanish. Your Korean doesn't even sound the same."

"Jongin told me the same thing."

"Stop bringing up Jongin!" Chanyeol exclaimed. "I hate that he got to see you. I haven't seen you since August!"

"You could have visited me!" I shouted. In the corner of my eye, I saw Blair walk out and leave. I hated that she felt like she needed to do that, but I also appreciated her trying to give us privacy. 

"You could have just not gone to Spain," Chanyeol said. "I wish I told you no."

"Chanyeol."

"You left me here, Saehee. You left me to deal with everyone by myself. Our parents, my father's business...you always fought them. I can't fight them by myself."

"What are you talking about?" I asked. "What changed?"

"I'm quitting university," Chanyeol said. "I'm literally failing all of my classes because I'm working so much with my dad. I don't have time for anything."

I ran my hand through my hair. "Give me one week," I told him. "One week and I'll be back and try to fix everything."