[Twenty] A Victim

"None of this is your fault. You're a victim here like Mari was. Marcus manipulated you at a young age and turned you into a killer." I recoiled back. I am only a killer to him. That's all I will ever be. I tried to get up, but Gideon pulled me back.

He tugged me down to the bed and came over me. He was still gentle as he tangled his hands into my hair and placed his palm on the side of my face. I tried to turn away from him, but he pulled me back. Gideon wanted me to see into his eyes when he spoke next.

"You're more than an assassin. You're a fighter and the strongest person I know. You couldn't have known what they lead you to believe was wrong." Gideon sighed and met my eyes. "Your soul is beautiful, Veronica." Gideon seared a path down my chest, and he stopped above my heart. "I know you think you don't deserve redemption, but you do."

His words chiseled away at the coldness that encased my heart. And with that, I sensed something bloom in my chest– hope. Something I hadn't felt in a long time.

I smiled up at Gideon. I didn't know what to do next, but with him, at my side, I thought it was possible to save the world.

"God, that smile of yours." He came forward and captured my lips. We kissed longer, and I found myself lost to the sensations he caused in me. I sighed and held on to Gideon as he worked his way down my neck. I gave myself to the moment, but I also knew we couldn't stay in bed. My revelation wouldn't leave with a few of Gideon's kisses.

Though, they were some damn good kisses.

"You're distracting me. I should talk to Erik. See what he thinks about Marcus creating super soldiers by stealing witch magic."

Gideon dropped his head to my chest and sighed. "You're thinking of another man while I kiss you in my bed?"

I laughed out loud. One of those full bellied unladylike laughs. It was foreign sounding even to my ears. "I was! I think I have a thing for older men now."

Gideon looked shocked, his eyes wide and mischievous. He came forward and started pinching my sides. I rolled over and tried to find a way to protect myself from his pinching assault. I couldn't breathe I was laughing so hard.

He finally wiggled my arms free and pinned them above my head. He rested part of his weight on me keeping me still. I grinned and tried to catch my breath.

"Perhaps, I wasn't doing my job well enough." Gideon kept my focus with each word he spoke. I couldn't help but look at the emotions written on his face. Despite everything happening, we shared this moment as one.

Gideon came forward and kissed me again– as he'd never kissed me before. They were starving, demanding little things that stole my breath. Another first.

It seemed like Gideon gave me a lot of firsts and I couldn't put a name to this new feeling simmering inside of me. All I knew was, I didn't want him to stop.

**

Gideon sighed and buried his face in my neck. He'd finally broke away from my mouth and settled further down. His warm breath kissed my neck and sent a wave of heat through me.

"I know you're right."

"Hmm?" I asked and tried to decipher what he meant. Where was he going with that statement?

He had nuzzled into my neck before he spoke again. "You're right, as much as I want to stay here with you– we need to work this out. We have to inform the Commander of what's going on."

I smiled. "And Erik, don't forget him." I knew Gideon had a little jealousy at my quick fondness for the other man.

Gideon nipped at the flesh between my neck and shoulder. It didn't hurt, but god did it send a rush of desire through me.