[Thirteen] Pressed Back

Something in this man's eyes relaxed me. For the first time in my life, I felt like someone understood what I was going through. I took a calm, steady breath and continued to press Six back so I could focus on this man before me.

"I do understand, and I want to help you." A tear slipped free. I swallowed the lump that formed in my throat. With all these mixed feelings, the torment, the fear-- the anguish. I wanted to know what the Covenant did to me.

Gideon picked up my hands and wrapped them with a cloth. He kept a silent watch beside me. I glanced back up towards the man that tried to calm me.

"What am I?" It's been the question I've wanted the answered since the Covenant turned me into this monster. I knew he would have the answers, he had to tell me.

"I thought it was who." I paused when those words passed the man's lips. Suddenly, things started crashing together in my mind. He knew me and knew more than he should.

"How do you know my real name?" I asked and narrowed my gaze. He stared at me, and a smooth grin broke across his face. "Who are you?"

"My name is Erik. And I know everything you know Veronica."

I smiled at him. God dammit, he was a mind reader. I shook my head. I felt sorry for this Mari. He would know every single thought that passed through her mind.

"She seems to not care anymore. Mind reading has its advantages." I laughed. For the first time in years, I actually laughed. I hadn't heard the sound since I was fourteen. It was rather rough and unused.

"Can you help me understand anything more than I already know?" I asked hopeful that whatever group this was knew more than I did.

"I'll try. The Guardians and I will do everything we can to help you." Then Erik turned his head towards Gideon. His voice went cold. "And don't you ever tie her up again."

Erik stood from where he'd crouched and placed a gentle hand on my head then turned to walk to the Commander.

"Let's go Rehan. Seriously, you still fear your daughter will lose control and become a Dark Witch? I told you I trained her well." The Commander shook off Erik's hold, and they walked through the door leaving me alone with Gideon. Unbounded. And completely puzzled by what transpired. I suppose no one questioned Erik around here. He wanted me unrestrained, then I would remain that way.

Erik left me with the promise of what I desired. He knew I wouldn't leave. I had to know, what he and the Guardians knew. What these people knew of the Covenant, and what they knew of my transformation.

I would be the most compliant hostage, in the history of hostages.

"Are you okay, Veronica?" Gideon's voice drew my attention back to him and away from the door.

The words caught in my throat with the way my real name rolled off Gideon's tongue. Something in that moment altered between us. Perhaps, he saw the same thing Erik did when I broke.

"Am I still your mark, Veronica?" He whispered.

"Am I still your assassin, Gideon?" I shot back. My emotions were a rollercoaster of highs and lows. I knew I snapped, but I couldn't focus. I thought it was evident I wouldn't kill him now.

Random spots of children appeared around us. They looked like ghosts. Their constant murmurs broke the silence of the room. I couldn't focus to retrain my illusions anymore. The illusion was spotty at best and obvious of my inability to control my emotions.

Gideon touched my hands. It was a soothing touch. His ghost, he called Sophia, hovered nearby. He rubbed my hands and got me to relax my fist. I released the tightness, and the illusions drifted away. His gentle, comforting touch relaxed me and calmed my already frayed nerves.

"I'm sorry." My voice cracked as the words passed my lips. I sagged forward. Over the last twenty-four hours, I'd been completely drained. Discovering early on that this skill I've obtained required endless amounts energy. I'd tore my way through my reserves. Creating an illusion as intricate as I did on Gideon's Commander took everything from me.

I closed my eyes and felt Gideon's arms wrapped around me. He turned so my head rested on his shoulder and his other arm slipped under my legs. He walked me from the room and down the hall. I took a deep breath and relaxed into his hold.

For the first time in my life. I felt safe. So I closed my eyes and allowed myself to stop. To no longer fight this. I could be more than this evil creature I believed I was.

**

I knew where I was the moment I dropped into the dream. It was a usual wicked tortured place my mind loved to travel to.

I was always bound and always alone. The harsh fluorescent lighting and tight restraints kept me company. There was never a sound beyond my breathing and the hum of the industrial air conditioners.

The walls of the small room were white and bare, and the floors matched. I laid on nothing but a table. I wore a gown, and it was so cold I felt the sharp sting of pain from being so exposed. It made my body numb but I always still felt. I would feel everything.

The door slid open, and the man dressed in blue scrubs and a mask walked in. They always wore masks, so all I could see were their haunted eyes. Glazed over and merciless eyes that spoke histories I didn't know. There was never a sign of pity for what pain they caused me.

I didn't know what I agreed to let them do to me. When Marcus found me, I was devastated by my parent's murder. I accepted this life, I agree with these experiments if it allowed me to get my revenge on my parent's killer. They swore to me they knew who it was and that I would be strong enough.

His cold fingers touched my arm a moment before the metal needle pierced my skin. I screamed out and cried for someone to help me.

No one ever heard my cries.