Whatever It Takes

Seth groaned as his back hit the brick wall, body shaking from the impact

     Seth groaned as his back hit the brick wall, body shaking from the impact. "Great, I fail all my classes, I lose my sports game, now this?" Seth thought. Day after day, he continued to suck.  His life sucked.  In both school, sports, and well, pretty much everything he did, he was terrible at.  "I can't help it, people just reject me because they  fear me and refuse to see my potential," Seth kept telling himself.  He had no friends and he hated his family.  His parents were incompetent and didn't understand him, and his siblings were too happy for him, always outperforming him in school, sports, girls, everything!"  His only release was driving his Jeep, eating steak, and holding a gun.  He was a redneck, after all.  But worst of all, he was bullied.  For no reason.

     "Hey, redneck, what did you take my lunch money for?!?"  his oppressor yelled.  Okay, maybe there was a reason.  But how was he supposed to make his own money?  He couldn't ask his parents, he was too proud.  And who would want to hire him?  The bully gave him a hard smack, knocking Seth back to the present.  "Redneck, please stop taking my money! And at least learn how to pickpocket a person correctly, are you that stupid to not even know how to steal?"  His oppressor swiped Seth's straw hat off his head, before throwing it in a trash can and swiping his money from Seth.  Seth was insulted, his overinflated ego damaged.  "HOW DARE YOU!" Seth yelled.  He charged at his oppressor, throwing wild punches.  As unintelligent as he was, and as wild a punch Seth was throwing, he was strong enough to make it do damage.  Fueled by anger, he continued to strike, even after the guy begged him to stop, even after the guy's whole face was drenched in red, even when the guy was just a limp body on the ground.  After tiring, Seth stood up from the dead body of his bully.  Things hadn't been working for Seth before. "Maybe, just maybe, violence can turn my life around," Seth thought.  Whatever it took, whatever form it took, Seth would show everyone who rejected him and refused to see his potential.

     That night, Seth started his life of crime.  He started his own escapades of robbery before joining a gang, and climbing his way up the ladder and eventually becoming the very crime boss he is now.  Of course, his family didn't support it, because why would you support a kid who turned to crime?  He still had no friends, even his gang, people feared him more than they liked him.  But he had money.  Lots of it.  And a hot wife.  She was a great physicist, creating revolutionary technology.  Obviously she was only there for the money, to fund her crazy tech, but hey, Seth got to use this cazy tech for crime! Win-win!

     But today, Seth had met his match.  Someone had learned how to or was using something that could do extroardinary things, teleporting and travelling between the seconds.  This would pose a problem to him, there would be less of a chance that Seth could beat the teleporting stranger in a fight.  But, Seth had the stranger's girl.  At least he could use that as bargaining.  Maybe that was the stranger's weakness.  Empathy.  Roughly grabbing the girl, Seth headed into his hideout, plotting his defense against the teleporting stranger.  Not just the physical barriers, but the empathatic as well.