It Was All A Dream

It was all a dream

     It was all a dream.  Every jolting touch, every electrifying kiss... all in his head.  Was never a reality.  But as Ethan slowly arose to the new day, he wondered how possible it could be to make his dream true. He wondered if she, just like himself, had the same dream, but kept it locked away.  Ethan wondered how hard it would be just to ask.  But he knew he couldn't.  It wasn't time. Sometimes he wondered if it would ever be time.

     So, Ethan waited for months.  He waited for years.  Waited for her to change. "It don't get much dumber, than pinning your hopes on the change of another," he thought.  "I still need her, but what good is that gonna do?  What will it help if she doesn't like me back?  If I become that friend that was just there because he was crushing?  What if I become that one pervert, openly despised?  Nothing's going to happen, it'll just be the same situation if I do nothing, but if I do something, it might be hell of a lot worse.  And the same is better than hell."

     Little did he know that even if he did nothing, his life would never be the same again.

1 YEAR LATER

     "I'm sorry sir, but there is nothing we can do.  You have one month left of vision."

     One month before the world turned dark.  One month before he would never see Alice again. But what did it matter?  Ethan's life was a mess.  Nobody cared about him.  Try as he might, work as hard as he might, he had no friends, no good family relations, nothing.  He tried his hardest to be someone he would hope people would notice - but no one ever did. He never understood how people managed to master life - He may have worked harder, fought smarter, but somehow someone less intelligent or less attractive or less anything always beat him somehow in his social life.  Looking back in his childhood, it frustrated him how every perfect throw he couldn't catch, every poor aim he had shooting rifles in Boy Scouts, was because of a reason he couldn't control.  He was, to say the least, depressed. Looking into the mirror at the doctor's office, he saw his face - Dark messy hair, tanned skin, and dark, sorrowful eyes.

     But there was a spark of hope that kept him going.  A spark that maybe he could be something more than he had ever had been.  It was a girl.  She had blonde hair that framed her cute face perfectly, her shining smile, and bright blue eyes.  She started out as a friend, sharing jokes in class, laughing about life, and talking about musicals.  They shared their problems in times of trouble. They laughed together in times of happiness. But day by day Ethan came to realize that her smile, her personality, their shared interests, everything about her, he loved.  It was the first thought of hope when he awoke, and it got him through the night as he tried to sleep.  But she was just a friend.

     Walking home from the doctor, he knew he needed to tell her before he could never see her again.  But as he was walking, thinking of her, he saw her.  Falling from the sky. And in a flash of purplish black light, the concrete sidewalk faded away, and he was falling with her.