"Why?"

       "To keep an eye on you."

       "But why?"

       "You are my mate, of course I'm going to have people watching you." He growled and let go of my chin to clench his fist at his side. I frowned at the action.

       "You said you didn't want anyone to know about me."

       "My generals are the exception."

       "Why?"

       His dark growl suddenly filled the dark alley we were hidden in and his blue eyes flashed dangerously. "Stop asking that. It's annoying." I snapped my mouth shut and looked away as he leaned heavily against the brick building beside us. He wasn't wrong, I was just beyond curious about what went in that beautiful, hidden head of his.

       "I'm sorry." I breathed out into the freezing air surrounding us. He let out a heavy sigh.

       "Don't be. I shouldn't have snapped at you, I'm just not used to letting people ask so many questions."

       I gulped as those bright eyes stared holes into the side of my face. I couldn't bring myself to look up at him, at that captivating gaze that held me hostage for seemingly days on end. I couldn't believe I honestly let myself talk so freely around him. Sure, he thought I was his mate- and who knows? Maybe I really was, but that didn't give me permission to talk to him like he wasn't what he was. A King.

       The King.

       "Little one," He started softly as that gloved hand reached up and rubbed gently over my cheek. I tried not to push my face into his touch and hold him there forever, but it was honestly quite hard. "I am truly sorry, don't be upset with me."

       Don't be upset with him. The King of the North- this situation was more than odd. "I trust my generals, with my life- and with yours. Otherwise they wouldn't be my generals. They are the only ones who know." I could only nod as his gloved fingers brushed gently over my cheek.

       "Your note said you are going to the Lower Kingdom." He started softly as his hand dropped down to his side once more. I tried not to frown in disappointment. I thoroughly enjoyed his warm touch, even if it was through a glove. "You failed to mention how long."

       My eyes flickered to his. Would he really care how long I would be gone? The look in his bright orbs said he did, but did it honestly matter? How did he come by the note so fast anyways? Had he finally come down the mountain the night before to see me? Or did his general bring it to him?

       "We leave for the Lower Kingdom every year, usually for a few moons at least. Until the heavy snow fades."

       I watched as that dark look washed over his bright eyes once again and he rubbed at the hood hiding his face. "Until winter ends." His voice came out at as a low grumble as it flowed easily over my shoulders. I wanted to close the few inches separating us, and bury into the no doubt thick and warm lapels of his cloak.

       Then a whole new wave of sadness washed over me. Until winter ends... I wouldn't see him again until winter ended. Before I had been worried about him wanting to see me again, and now I was truly starting to fear the fact that I wouldn't for the next two or three moons.

       "I cannot allow it."

       "W-what?" I asked in surprise and blinked up at him with wide eyes.

       "I cannot allow you to leave. You shouldn't even be outside of your village right now." The soft ease in his voice was gone and replaced with a dangerous growl as that gloved hand of his suddenly gripped onto the top of my arm.