37. Adikalania - Duel before the Gods

Following after the ceremony, Farangis took Bahar's ashes in a canister with her back to Peshawar. According to her, Bahar wished to be buried as soon as cremated her body. She alone went away while the army continued its march towards Uraiyur.

Before she set off, she told Asa to never let go of the charm that Ayyar lent to her. Although she inwardly questioned it, after seeing how serious Farangis was Asa promised she would do as she was told.

Now, the princess was riding next to Arslan on their march. On the way, they regrouped with Rajendra, who gave his deepest condolences and together, continued on until they finally arrived at the royal palace of Uraiyur. Upon their arrival, Arslan, Asa, and Rajendra were quickly surrounded by the palace maids, ready to be dressed up for the upcoming event, but when those maids tried to take Asa with them, the girl grabbed Arslan's wrist and wouldn't let go.

"Uh, Asa?" Arslan forced a smile for her, feeling a slight pain as the maids looked at them in wonder. Then as if she wasn't fully awake yet, her eyes fluttered open and she quickly released her grip. "S-Sorry..."

Understanding her anxiety, Arslan motioned for Alfarid to accompany her. The Zott girl whipped her head in enthusiasm and quickly, but gently took Asa's hand in hers. Asa only followed after her in silence when Alfarid led her away with the maids.

"We heard a princess is also coming, so we have prepared a set of clothes for you! It certainly will draw out the beauty within you!" one of the maids happily remarked as soon as they entered the dressing room.

In response, Asa made a face of disapproval. "Um, no, I..."

"Thanks but Hime-sama brought her own set of clothes!" Alfarid yelled out as she stood between Asa and those maids then shoved them all towards the door, shooing them, "Since just me is enough to dress her you can all get out! We'll call you when we need something!"

As Alfarid forcibly closed the door, she let out a sigh and chuckle. "Phew! Honestly, I can't stand crowds like that! They only give headache!"

Asa just stared at her, silently watching as she took out a basket with her gown and accessories in it. "Now then, I suppose I'll help you put these on~!"

"No, stop!" Asa quickly snatched the basket from Alfarid before she could open it, "Thank you but... I can do that alone."

"Oh, okay..." Alfarid nodded slowly, staying in her place just like what she had been told. But when she saw Asa struggling to take off her armor, she rushed to help her. "Thanks, Alfarid-chan." Asa said with a thin smile.

Alfarid whipped her head happily, then only stayed and watched as Asa gently took out her light blue gown from the basket. Again, when Asa tried to put it on, she struggled to do it, prompting Alfarid to help her.

The two girls fell into silence as Alfarid concentrated on buttoning Asa's dress. While she was mentally complaining about how complicated a princess' gown could be, Asa, who was deeply in thought, called her name. "Nee, Alfarid-chan?"

"Yes, Hime-sama?"

"Aren't I pathetic? I can't even wear my own gown..."

"What are you saying, Hime-sama? You are not!" Alfarid quickly denied as she took out Asa's bracelets from the basket, "To be honest, I, too, won't be able to put these all on by myself!"

Asa hummed in response, casting her gaze downwards. "I suppose you are right..."

A long silence filled the air between them, with Asa lost in thought and Alfarid focusing on Asa's bracelets. Alfarid noticed something when she put them on Asa: one bracelet was already encircled around Asa's left wrist. Instead of gold, that bracelet was made from neatly braided straw and only had small hanging chime as its decoration. Now that she thought about it, the princess always wore it...