3. Rough Diamonds

"Up."

CLANG!

"Good, now left."

CLANG!

"Now center."

CLANG!

"Good, now--"

Vahriz trailed off when Arslan suddenly lunged at him, and without hesitation swung his sword forward. Vahiz blocked his attack, "Hm!" grunting, and swinging his own sword. Arslan jumped back and came at him again, attacking simultaneously.

As skilled as a grand general he was, Vahriz managed to parry each of Arslan's strike. "Well done, Arslan-denka," he praised as Arslan jumped back, lowering his sword, "You seem to have mastered the basics."

"Thanks, Vahriz," though sweating and panting, Arslan replied with a wide smile, "But without your guidance, I won't be able to do such a feat!"

Vahriz nodded slowly, murmuring to himself, "Mastering it within half a day... such remarkable talent..."

"Hm? You say something, Vahriz?"

"No, I didn't," Vahriz brandished his sword again, "Let's continue, Denka!"

Meanwhile, inside the library, as usual Asa was studying intently under Bahar's tutelage. Bahar watched as Asa busied herself with books. She smiled softly at her, but then secretly narrowed her eyes, as if thinking something.

On the afternoon, at the castle hallway Arslan and Asa came across each other. As they passed by each other, without exchanging words the two smiled behind each other's back.

○○○

The next two days, Arslan again was practising swordsmanship with Vahriz.

As Arslan paused to catch a breath, Vahriz sheathed his sword and walked up to him. "Denka, how about we take a rest?" He offered.

"Huh? But we just..." Arslan paused for a moment, before nodding in agreement, "Sure, Vahriz! Finally!"

"Denka, I have said this before, but you certainly have improved," Vahriz began after he and Arslan had seated below a shady tree, "I can say I'm proud to be your instructor."

"Oh, you don't have to!" Arslan grinned sheepishly, "I mean... I'm also proud to be your disciple!"

Vahriz didn't answer as he was looking away.

As Arslan picked a bottle of water, Vahriz opened his mouth to speak, "Denka, do you hate Heika?"

"Chichi-ue? No, of course no," Arslan replied nonchalantly before downing the water, "What makes you ask that?"

"What about Queen Tahamenay?" Vahriz took a glimpse at Arslan, "Do you hate Her?"

Arslan's eyes met with Vahriz, and he didn't know why but he felt those eyes were staring through his soul. He found himself looking away from them, and a bead of sweat rolled down his cheek, "No... how could I possibly?" he murmured.

Vahriz nodded to himself, seeming satisfied. Arslan peeked at him and as Vahriz stayed silent he let out a thin sigh in relief.

"What about Bahar?"

Arslan blinked his eyes. "Eh?"

Vahriz slowly stood up and folded his arms behind his back, staring at the clear sky. "As senior maid, she's well respected by her fellow colleagues and in return respects them. She is very dedicated to her job and never once had she complained. But above all, she's a very loyal attendant of Pars, and especially to both Denka and Hime-sama."