27. The Prince from the Eastern Region

Prince Rajendra, one of the two princes of the country in the east, Sindhura. His half older brother, Gadhevi, was the next line in throne after King Karikala II, but he opposed this and wanted to claim the throne for himself. As result, Sindhura was split into two opposing factions: one that supported him and the other supported Gadhevi.

Asa once heard from Kishward that according to those who supported Gadhevi, Rajendra was the sort of a man who would smile politely while slitting his adversary's throat. He however, managed to gain immense support from low-ranked soldiers and impoverished public because of his charming appearance and generosity. Although Asa thought a man who could kill with a smile on his face couldn't possibly be a good person, she agreed with Narsus that they could make use of that man.

The said prince was now sitting right next to her older brother, Arslan, as they enjoyed dinner. He was brought to the citadel by Narsus and the others after they defeated him and his army.

Arslan attempted to talk to him, but was interrupted as somehow a drinking contest started between Rajendra, Gieve, and Farangis. Once Farangis had single-handedly defeated the other two participants, Arslan decided it was time to try talking with the foreign prince again.

"Rajendra-dono, I believe it's time for our discussion now." He smiled politely.

Rajendra, being tipsy had to force his mind to focus. "Oh, you're right... but what was it again that we wanted to discuss?" He wondered as he looked at Arslan, "...wait, am I too drunk I started seeing things or there really are two of you?"

"You are drunk, but you aren't seeing things," Arslan chuckled while Asa found herself smiling thinly beside her brother, "This is my younger twin sister, Asa."

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Rajendra-ouji." Asa offered him a more genuine smile this time.

Rajendra blinked, processing the new information he just acquired. When done, he finally made a comment, "Ahh... I see. I remember some rumors about Pars' royal family was blessed with two offsprings at the same time."

Both the twins retained their smiles even though what he said about offspring had certainly disturbed them. They didn't plan on revealing the truth to him though, so Arslan just nodded, "Yes, those rumors are true."

"My bad, I didn't notice it earlier..." Rajendra paused for a moment to take a good look at Asa's features. "...my goodness! How could I fail to notice a beauty such like you?"

The people present in the room made different faces upon seeing the second prince of Sindhura gently took Asa's hand into his and kissed it: Farangis and Bahar made a face of distaste; Kishward and Daryun made a face of restrainted anger; Gieve's face was blank but he was internally sarcastically praising Rajendra; Narsus didn't know how to respond and only kept a straight face; Elam and Alfarid stuck out their tongues in disgust; and Arslan's smile visibly twitched. A mix of all that his vassals felt; that's what Arslan was restraining.

"Thank you for your kind words, Rajendra-ouji," Asa gave the prince a warm smile, but who knows what she hid behind that smile of hers? "Now, will you be as kind as to hear out what my lord brother has to say?"

"Sure thing." Rajendra put on a smile that resembled Gieve's trademark smile for Asa. Fortunately this didn't faze Arslan and he said to the still smiling prince, "Actually, Rajendra-dono, I would like to enter an alliance with you."

This had piqued Rajendra's interest and altered his smile into an amused one. "Oh? Let's hear it."

"First, we will help you ascend the throne of Sindhura..."