24. Final Words

"ASA!!!!!" Arslan let out a shrill shriek as he forcefully brought himself to stand and run as fast as his feet could take him towards his slowly dying little sister.

However, the said sister hadn't given up on her life yet. She flailed her left arm and snatched the burning torch that was hung just next to her. With all her might she smashed it to the man's silver mask, catching him by surprise.

"GAH!!" the man abruptly released her from his clutch and took a huge step back.

The torch dropped to the floor at the same time as Asa, rolling as she let out an erratic coughing fit. "Asa...!" Arslan collapsed soon after he reached her. "Hang in there, Asa!"

The masked man was frantically getting rid of the fire that had caught on some of his raven strands. "Curse you, accursed girl of Andragoras!!!"

Seeing that masked man's reaction, Arslan soon understood that that man had fear for fire. He grabbed the still burning torch near him and Asa, shouting, "Don't come near here!" while brandishing it.

The man grimaced. An arrow suddenly came from behind him, but his reflexes made him able to cut it into half.

"Hime-sama! Denka!"

Arslan snapped his head towards the source of the voice and found Bahar was running towards him with Gieve. "Bahar! Gieve!"

The called woman spotted a limp Asa in a panting Arslan's arm, which quickly enraged her. "How dare you!" She growled, pulling out her hidden dagger and aimed it at the masked man's throat. The man managed to avoid it by jumping back, but had to use his blade to block Gieve's follow-up attack. As Gieve retreated the masked man was a bit surprised to find Narsus and Daryun had suddenly appeared out of nowhere and now were attacking him simultaneously.

Overpowered, the masked man clicked his tongue and fled by jumping down the steps. While the other three men pursued him, Bahar abandoned him and slid her dagger back into it sheath, running straight to the twins and promptly enveloping them in protective hug. "Oh my, I am sorry, I really am sorry..."

"I'm okay, Bahar." Asa croaked.

Arslan bit his lip. He didn't want to let go of the girl in his arms, but he realized he still had one thing to do. He wiped his tears, saying to Bahar, "Take care of Asa, Bahar."

Bahar nodded rigidly, hugging Asa securely as Arslan proceeded to stand up.

Asa suddenly grabbed his sleeve, tightly, beckoning him to stay. His face softened when he found her shaking her head. "I'll be okay. Okay?" He told her assuredly.

Asa looked at him skeptically, but she finally released him.

He nodded, stood up and glowered down at the steps where the masked man clashed with his vassals.

"I ask you once again; who the hell are you?!"

If only the situation were different, Arslan's vassals would surely cringe.

The masked man glanced towards his direction, smirking triumphantly. "My name is Hilmes, my father's name is Osroes. I am the son of the previous king; meaning I am the rightful successor of the throne!"

As he yelled that he ran up the stairs towards Arslan again while bringing his sword forward. Without having anything to defend him, Arslan could only step back in shock and that's when he saw a back of a man suddenly appeared in front of him, shielding him from the fatal attack.

"Bahman?!" His eyes widened as well as Hilmes'.

"It's been a long time, isn't it, Hilmes-denka..." Bahman stuttered out some words as blood flowed out of his mouth.