22. Memories of the Setting Sun

"What do you think about slavery?"

Arslan's question had immediately silenced the entire room. That was a question that he always wanted to ask Asa after he listened to Elam's past story. Her answer could and could not heavily affect how he would see things and take actions as king in the future, and knowing this had made his vassals wait for it in anticipation. But the two Marzbans who still hadn't known of the young crown prince's plan only waited in curiosity.

Arslan's sharp gaze locked with Asa's calm and somewhat curious orbs. "Hmm. Slavery, huh? The topic reminds me of the village where I took my lesson... there was not a single gholam found there."

"Not even one?!"

"Yes, everyone is an azat, a free man. But if I may be frank, I find the term azat and gholam are nothing but nonsensical farce. We are all humans, each born with a name unique to our own. Yet, how can someone claims to have a higher status and force a lower status upon another man? I find it to be ridiculous, even almost hilarious. There should only be one term, and that is: human. That is my thoughts regarding slavery."

The princess' words echoed strongly within the listeners' soul, bringing out various feelings from each of their heart. While they marveled at the princess'wisdom, Arslan smiled widely, as if already expecting that answer coming from her.

"I see. My thoughts very well align with yours."

"Am I glad to hear that. However, if I may so bluntly ask, for what reason must you ask that?"

Arslan once again straightened up his posture, taking a short breath. "I am planning to abolish slavery once I ascended the throne."

What the crown prince said had certainly caused the eyes of those who inhabited Peshawar Fortress to grow wide. Kishward, Bahar, Bahman, and even Nasrine couldn't hide their surprise faces, and Asa didn't bother to hide hers either. "W-What did you just say? You're joking, right?"

As Arslan retained his sharp glare, Asa quickly regained her composure and cleared her throat. "I mean to say, that is not funny, even as a joke, Nii-sama."

"I don't remember ever mentioned it being a joke. I am dead serious."

"And where did you even get such foolish idea?! Otou-sama will not be pleased to hear this!"

"He won't, for now. But after we rescue him, he will listen." Arslan replied confidently, only making Asa's eyes grew wider.

'......I see, by making him indebted to you, huh... but... is it possible to change his mind like that...?'

"....Nonsense," was all that Asa could say to Arslan's face as she directed a sharp glare on his direction. "Otou-sama won't listen just because you save him. He's not that soft. See, his only daughter couldn't even convince him to let her learn swordsmanship!"

"But I agree with him," Arslan crossed his arms, rising a brow at her, "Why would you take interest in swords, anyway? Even archery. That's not so girly, I'd say!"

Asa's eye twitched as she heard this. "Oh...? How strange," she said, expressionlessly, "I recall it was you who said I could always act like however I wish. Now you're saying this to me?"

"Yes but you're forgetting the fact that Chichi-ue only wanted to protect you. You're simply being selfish."

"Me? Selfish? If I am as selfish as you claim I wouldn't use my archery to save you!"

"But wasn't it Azrael who saved me and not that someone's archery?" Arslan noted, triumphantly.

"Right, a bird saved you. If I were you I would use my swordsmanship to save myself!" Asa smirked, also triumphantly.