14. Resolve

[Flashback, Year 309, Khuzestan]

A woman was sitting cross-legged on a flat stone amidst forest of tall trees. She had long black hair that flowed gracefully like the reflection of the clear night sky on a river and skin that was as soft as silk from Serica. She only wore a simple white robe over her slim body and a silver piece of pendant around her neck. That pendant was an odd-shaped whistle with engravings of the spring flower; the hyacinth, one that symbolized her name.

A rustling came from behind her, but she paid no heed to it and instead continued to meditate. Another woman then emerged from behind one tall tree, approaching her. She was a woman with short auburn hair and beauty mark below her lips. Her amber eyes flashed upon seeing the first woman.

"Found you, Bahar! Finally!" the auburn-haired woman smiled triumphantly as she stepped forward, "It's been a long time, eh? How's life as a hermit?"

There was no response from the other woman, making the second woman shake her head. "I went through the trouble seeking for you in this vast and dangerous forest alone, climbing the rough mountain, crossing rivers, and when I found you only to get ignored... or could it be you're already forgotten about the voice of your beloved rival?"

"Why are you here, Alya?" Bahar eventually spoke, her voice ringing like a soft melody.

Alya's grinned widely, only to drop her grin a second later. "The head Kahina wants to see you."

Bahar slowly opened her eyelids, revealing a pair of discerning onyx eyes behind them. "I know. The djinn had informed me," she stepped down the stone, touching the ground with her bare toes, "But they didn't say what the Kahina wants to do with this long exiled priestess."

Later on, the two went out the forest and eventually arrived at the temple of Mithra. It actually wasn't as hard as Alya had mentioned.

Bahar studied the temple before them thoroughly as Alya began explaining, "This temple is a donation from Andragoras-heika when his children were born three years ago."

"Children?"

"They're twins... a boy, which is the older sibling is named Arslan while the younger is a girl named Asa."

Alya then led Bahar inside the temple, towards a room. "This is where the Kahina awaits you," she gestured at the door before them, "I'm only allowed to escort you to here."

Bahar nodded. "Thanks."

"Let's..." Alya stopped Bahar from opening the door. She looked away sheepishly from Bahar as she continued in whisper, "Let's have tea together after this, ok?"

Bahar smiled thinly and nodded in agreement, then watched as Alya left. She turned again and pushed the door open.

Inside, an old woman was sitting on some cushions, waiting for her. She was a wrinkled woman beyond the age of eighty and brimming with wisdom. Her only attire was simple white robe and white veil that covered her whitened hair. She was the head Kahina.

Bahar bowed in front of her. "Head Kahina. I've come upon your call."

"Indeed, I am calling you back here after five years of exile because of one particular reason, Bahar," the head Kahina's voice echoed across the spacious room, "I have a crucial task that I only want you to do."